Night terrors...

My daughter is 2 and a half. The last month she's been having some kind of nightmare. We'll hear her screaming in the middle of the night.. "No! No! Stop!! No!" She does this3-5 times a week. Last night instead of the no no stop, it was a blood curdling scream, high pitched scream...and I went in there and she was shaking, clinging to me. What is going on!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its probably night terrors. does she watch anything that could be considered "too scary"? or maybe see a commercial for a scary movie and it frightened her? i co-sleep with my 2 1/2 year old and she still sometimes does this. it has gotten better though.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 5:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It is not night terrors ,during a night terror they will scream and not even know that you are there, so the fact she talks and clings means that she is just having really bad nightmares. I would make sure there isn't anything in her room that can look scary at night, get a good night light, and make sure she is getting good enough naps, food, and water during the day this contributes to nightmares.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Maybe she's one of those psychic kids? Like those from that one show..Psychic Kids . That would be cool.
    Anonymous

• No. That wouldn't be cool anon. And no there is nothing scary in her room even with the lights off...she has a really good night light...we're real carefull about what she watches for fear of her having night mares. It just scares me to hear her scream like that and not know what to do....She had night terrors when she was like1yr old...but this....this scares me. I don't know what to do about it...and I'm really worried. I don't usually worry this easy. But I'm honestly scared. Do you think it could have anything to do with her going to her bio fathers once a week...she's only gone for 8 hours...and that 8 hours a week is the ONLY time she's not with me. I'm horrified right now. Please somebody help me.
    OP
    Anonymous

• I used to have both horrifically real nightmares and night terrors. They could be triggered by a book, a game., a movie, a tv show, a change in scene/environment (I used to sleepwalk when I had to sleep somewhere other than home), sometimes there was no obvious trigger. Try to get her to talk about what she is dreaming- she may remember, she may not until years later. The more open you are about her nightmares/terrors, the better she will be able to accept them and learn to deal with them. My mom was fantastic when I was younger- she wrote a short story just for me to read that helped me to understand what was going on. Warning: she may never outgrow this. I still have the occasional terror at night (I no longer wake up screaming bloody murder, thankfully, but DH does have to wake up and sit with me), and I still have very realistic nightmares on a semi regular basis. CONT
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• CONT I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get her talking about it now and identify what is frightening her so much- bottling it up only makes it worse. If it continues and she is not willing to talk with you, there is no harm in talking it over with her pediatrician and maybe having her speak with someone else; she may feel embarrassed or ashamed that she is that scared, and isn't comfortable talking to you about it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• A lot of kids will have nightmares because they have over bearing parents, not saying you are but she can't be with you every moment of everyday, and making her feel like she is only safe with you can cause stress which causes nightmares. I would really look at her diet as well, sometimes too much sodium, sugar etc can cause nightmares, also dehydration is a culprit as well. I really wouldn't worry about it, kids go through these phases just hug her and tuck her back in.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010