3 yr old with diaper rash!

Hi ladies. My son just turned 3 this week. We have been trying to potty train him since he was 16 months old. He is very stubburn and will not do it! Even while he was in daycare, they helped me by trying and he just refuses to do it. We decided to try to back off for alittle while and not push him into it but we started trying again 6 months ago. I put underwear on him every single day and he just takes them off. He will wear pull-ups but just uses them as diapers. He really has no interest in using the potty. But hes had a diaper rash on and off for a few weeks now. His pedi knows about it and has prescribed creams and they work for awhile but he ends up getting the rash again. This time, the rash is horrible with blistering and bleeding. Ive caught him a few times with his hands on his privates(ugh boys!) and I just noticed he has a rash on his face near his mouth too! Im very frustrated about him not being pt trained. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Change him more often, try different diapers or pull ups.
    Anonymous

• the fact is if a child absolutely refuses to be potty trained at that age they need to be disciplined...not harshly, just taking things away. he needs to learn that its not right to be pooping on himself when he's old enough for preschool
    Anonymous

• I so do not agree with anon 46. Most doctors tell you if the child is not ready then don't push it since most kids are NOT potty trained till the are almost 5. Do not punish a child because he/she does not want to use the potty. That will just make then not want to do it more.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with anon:58 - most children are potty trained long before they are 5. My son is almost 3 and after trying off & on for a year and a half JUST finally caught on this last week. Only day though, we won't worry about nights for a while yet. Just keep trying, be persistant, and THROW THE PULLUPS AWAY. (or just don't buy anymore). They are a MAJOR potty training hinderance - you said it yourself OP, they're like a diaper. If they are GONE, he will learn! Stick with it, he sounds exactly like my son and my son got it!
    Anonymous

• I dont want to push my son to potty train because he really is soo against it.. but seriously! HES 3! This is ridiculous.. Ive tried all I can to get him potty trained. His pedi is kinda in between right now too. He doesnt think I should push him either but he also says that at this age he should be too. Im just kinda lost and at a point where I dont know what else to do.

I change my sons diaper all the time to prevent him from getting a diaper rash and to also heal the ones he ends up with. My son has also had a lactosse intolerance and only drinks lactosse free milk and products. So theres always that few times where he ends up eating things he shouldnt and ends up with a horrible diaper rash. Ive tried all the products, desitin, balmex, a&d, butt paste, burts bees, and prescribtions. Nothing helps!

Anonymous

• My son is 3 also. He won't go number 2 on the toilet yet, but he does number 1 fine. The way that we got him to use the toilet was to have his potty chair out in what ever room he was in. If he was in the living room, we put the chair there. We also had him go with out pull-ups and diapers. It sounds weird, but if he didn't have his pants on, just his jockies, he was very aware whenever he got wet. Something else that worked for us was that we started all the training on the weekend so that we were both there to assist him when he needed to go. I hope that some of this works.

As for the rash, it sounds like he has a fungal or yeast infection thing happening since it spread to his face. I would go back to the doctor and ask for more help. My nephew had that frequently when he was little (he's 5 now).
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 8:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Try training pants. Basically, a cloth pull up. It can make kids more aware of when the pee, because they feel it much more. I've heard that many kids who are cloth diapered potty train early, so I figured this is the same concept.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• no worries my 3 not trained either & i know two more 3 yr not trained.. use corn starch to dry out the rash.. I use underwear with her in the house, but i use pull ups everywhere else.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son had the issue of wanting to use the pull ups as diapers, In fact what we caught him doing is coming and wanting a pullup or diaper on and he would potty in that so i bought him toddler underwear and then one day when preschool was over I told him that the diapers were done that I wasnt buying anymore. Also with both of my boys I did not use a potty chair. I went to walmart and bought the little helper toilet seats that make it easy for them to sit on the big toilet. It worked. Also make sure your son isnt developmentally delayed or delayed in someway else. My boys have adhd and until I got the youngest to pay attention by being on the meds no amount of discipline of any kind would have helped him in this department. And to be honest if I had realized my 7 year old had adhd at 4 I never would have been so harsh in how I handled his potty training.
    csandersfuller

Answer by csandersfuller at 11:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• don't discipline him.. thats crazy.. just encourage him reward him with hugs, high fives, stickers when he does try.. my 11 yr wasn't trained until yr but at night needed pull ups until 6yr old. My 7 yr wasn't fully trained until 4 & never needed pull ups.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2010