How do i take my kids of the bottle?

I have a 29month old and a 17 month old that i want to take off the bottle but it seems to be a little bit hard.

mommy132602

Asked by mommy132602 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• At that age it is more difficult but there is only 1 way to do it. take the bottles and throw them away they will drink out of what they are given after a few days of fits etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• you just take it away.

they will get to the point that if they are thirsty, they WILL drink from a cup.

Just throw all the bottles in the trash and get rid of the bag so that you aren't tempted to give in to any tantrums they may have!
    Anonymous

• you have a 29 month old on a bottle!!!! the 17 month old is bad enough but damn! cold turkey is the way to go but your 29 month old is going to be very difficult, the longer they have it the more attached they are
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• idid too my boys are 28 mo and ijust nowstopped i tossed em and found cars cups with lids the cheap ones they love em or there is the option ofa cup.it was gettingridiculess the crying and losing them enought! also juice boxes are easy enough. i heardthat you only offer water in a bottle and juice ilk soda whatever in a cup good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• The best thing to do is just take them & trash them. You may have a couple of screaming nights but trust me it will be okay.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry but your poor children have teeth and it will rot them. and although they are baby teeth the grown up teeth will too. and read my name better if you want to throw off insults
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• just take it away.

simple...

Anonymous

• just take the bottles away an give them sippy cups...an yes once your kids find out what happened you'll hear the biggest loudest screams along with them throwing tantrums. ignore the screams & tantrums once they get very thirsty they will use the sippy cups.
    Anonymous

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My oldest son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up last December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/15/4/2-a
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Just take it away. My oldest had it at night till 19mos. Then we just took it away. His younger sister we took away at 12mos. Its a breeze! After 12mos it just becomes a habit that is hard to break!
    Anonymous