What do you think about Michelle Obama's campaign on youth obesity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• it's great. so much serious disease is diet related. I wonder if she's looking at overhauling school lunches, they are horrible and it sets an awful example for schools to serve such crap.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think she picked a good cause ---one that we could all adopt in our families. First ladies usually adopt a cause...Lady Bird Johnson wanted to rid highways of Billboards and beautify our roads, for example. THIS cause is valuable for sure!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Haven't heard much on it, yet, but I think it's a great cause.
    Anonymous

• i just need to add that though i agree childhood obesity is a serious problem...a child bad eating habits start at home with what the parents feed them...if you teach your child good eating habits then junk food won't appeal to them
    Anonymous

there is actually a show coming out and theres  a guy that goes to schools and tries to get them to serve healthy lunches..sad that there HAS to be such a show...one lady told him that the french fries were the vegatable

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I think that if you want the youth to eat right the parents need to. I think if you are going to choose eating healthy as your platform it might be wise and good if you can at least get your family on board.

http://whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/02/about-those-cholesterol-levels/?test=latestnews

Anonymous

• I suppose it's a good cause, although I thought she was going to work on behalf of military families. I am guessing that was an epic fail.
    Anonymous

• Good cause. I don't think I would have trashed my daughters on public tv though. Certainly can't be good for their poor self esteem. No, I don't have a link. No, I am not looking for one.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I thought she was going to work on behalf of military families. I am guessing that was an epic fail.
    ______
    She couldn't help them because she couldn't "relate". But she can relate to fat kids because she exploited her kids high BMI to show how well she can "relate" to a parents struggle with an "obese" child. She will pu $$y foot on this then find a new "cause" to look like she is doing something. At least First Lady Bush backed what she said instead of just flip flopping from cause to cause.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Didn't Shaq try this in Florida schools and the the school board showed him the budget (less than a $1.00/kid/meal) and he and his nutritionist couldn't make it happen? Who's paying for the lunches?  Taxpayers? And when the kids throw away the healthy choices (most kids did) who's benefiting?.  The kids? or the one 'marketing' the cause...  Throwing money at a problem doesn't fix the problem...PARENTS need to WANT to make the best choices. PARENTS need to want to make a healthier lifestyles a priority.  The first lady and the President made a huge issue of volunteering. To the tune of a bill that passed a year ago. Costing taxpayers $5.7 billion...  The increase in volunteering (source:bls) was less than 1%... Is that worth 5.7billion?  Will this be another boondoggle? 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010