I am really scared and I don't know what to do.

My 2 and a half year old DD has been having some kind of nightmares like 3-5 times a week. She starts screaming, "No, no!! Stop!! No!!" And you go in there to check on her, and shes still sleeping. Then last night in the middle of the night, she started screaming, this high pitched, blood curdling scream. I went in there, she was sitting on her knees looking down, I picked her up and she clung to me, wouldn't even look at me at first. Then I looked at her face and she had tears streaming down her face. Eventually she went back to sleep and she was fine. There is nothing scary in her room even with the lights off...she has a really good night light...we're real carefull about what she watches for fear of her having night mares. It just scares me to hear her scream like that and not know what to do....She had night terrors when she was like1yr old...but this....this honestly scares me. I'm really worried. Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would talk to the doctor. Idk about these things but something is oviously scary her really bad.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Past life trauma
    Anonymous

• Night terrors. They are common at this age and unfortunately not alot that can be done. I'd almost bet she does this within two hours of going to sleep initially....am I right?? Things you can try are a soothing bedtime routine, asking her guardian angel to help her sleep by blessing her with good dreams, and finding out if there is anything new in her life that may be causing her some upset. The good news is this will pass. The bad news it may take awhile.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Like i said..she might be seeing paranormal things like spirits or demons...
    Anonymous

• And yes I even agree to a point with anonymous. I've heard that this can be caused by past lives interferring in the current one. In which case remind her that her current life is what's happening now. She's your daughter and you're going to take care of her. IDK how much I believe in past lives, but I don't 100% dismiss the possiblity.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• sounds like night terrors to me.

my youngest 2 daughters had them - scared the life out of me.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• try soft music in her room...or not to sound crazy or anything but children can see things we can't. my son used to scream like something was after him screamming "no no get away from me" at first i thought it would go away..then i thought he was just making things up, then weird things started happening in the house after begging my husband we moved...it's been three months an my son now sleeps threw the night...ask your child what she see's...you may be surprised...
    Anonymous

• Like I said earlier it is NOT night terrors, night terrors happen and the child doesn't know that anybody else is there and they will stop and go right back to sleeping. You need to check her diet, her room for items that she might find scary, have a consistent night time routine, and stop worrying all the time that causes stress in a child. This is most likely a phase and she will grow out of it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I agree with the response about trauma has something happened that you are unaware of, which could be causing her to scream out at night. I would suggest talking to her doctor about her behavior at night.
    Anonymous

• I had bad night terrors at her age. I would start screaming shortly after going to bed, I would be sitting up in my bed just screaming so badly that it sounded like I was being murdered. My mom or dad would come running in to find me asleep. I did this almost on a nightly basis. I think my mom said I outgrew it after awhile. Then I started sleep walking, and she would wake up with me standing by her bed just staring at her. She would tell me to go back to bed, and I would say "okay mommy" and head on back. Wow, after typing this, I was a freaky little thing.

Anyways, sounds like bad night terrors but I am not a professional and call your doctor, maybe something is going on that needs to be checked out.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2010