How do I go about finding a good local church for my family to start attending?

Hi. Since we have moved (last August) we have not attended church. We had a nice family church that we enjoyed attending but now we just live too far away from it. I would really like to start going back to church but I don't know how to pick one or find one! I really don't know anyone out here where we live. Our last church I started going to because I was invited by my best friend...so I felt comfortable going there because I already knew someone,lol. I know..it sounds so childish and I know most churches are very welcoming..its just finding one and getting the courage to walk throught those doors knowing people are going to be staring at the "new" people,lol.
Anyway...does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a new church in our community?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 7:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are in the same situation. I completely understand! I was a youth leader at our former church and before that, the church we were in we were married in! What I did was did a search for churches in my area on google. Then I started to narrow them down by what we were looking for... a strong worship department, strong youth department and a great children's program. Then I looked at the 'what we believe' section to make sure it lined up with what we believe. The next step is to start going and checking them out. You can also stop by during the day and ask to speak to one of the pastors at the church. Ask them all of those questions, what they believe, how they handle the nursery/childrens program etc. But the most important thing you can do is pray about it! God will lead you where He wants you.
    Good luck!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Well, you want to stick with the same general denomination. That way you're fairly familiar with the service lay-out. You'd be awfully shocked if you were raised Catholic and walked into a Pentecostal church! Then just visit those around your area to see if you find on you feel comfortable in. PLUS it doesn't hurt to pray about it!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 7:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Hit the phone book for sure. There are GOBS of them....
    But don't just go to go.....definitely go and pray about the ones you go to, and see where Heavenly Father wants you to go...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I say just go! You'll know when you've found the right church, especially after you've prayed about it, God will let you know what one is right for you. We tried 4 churches and just kept going back to the 2nd church before finally becoming members and I'm soooo happy at this church, definitely my favorite church I've ever been a member, too. We move a lot and I'm not looking forward to leaving this church in 2 years. :(
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• First, knowing what you expect in what a church teaches, the way they do services, etc is important and can vary a lot from denomination to denomination. That narrows it down... a lot of churches have information online, where you can find out if it has a congregation of 50 or 500 - if you're looking for a small community church, one of the larger ones might not be a good fit for your family! Or vice versa. I'd get a list of a bunch of churches in the area, make a list of questions that are important to you about a church community/spiritual teachings, and call and ask them. The churches whose answers most suit what you're looking for, visit them for a couple of Sundays. You might have to visit several different churches, but it's worth it to find one that really meets your needs for that community. I do advise going to each church at least twice, or more, because I think it gives a better idea and lets you make a good choice.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• go to lds.org put your area code and a church near you will come up.
    Anonymous

• Whenever we move, ( we move alot) we just start going. We decide which Church we will attend the following Sunday and we go. And we keep going until we find one we like. Sometimes just driving around we'll notice one and make a note of the address and times.
    Most churches are not very welcoming IMO, in fact I think it is very hard to find a good church. Maybe I'm too judgemental!!
    Anyway, good luck you'll find one.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We just went through this and finally found a church we really like. Just go to different churches and pray and there will be one you will be drawn to visit again and again. Also, we found that the smaller churches were friendlier and less judgmental. More people were open to talking to us than at the larger churches. There were some where we walked in and then walked out as soon as the service was done, not ever wanting to go back (the very first church we visited). Our new church home is great, the people are friendly and pastor gives wonderful, uplifting sermons, there is a children's church for the kids, the kids enjoy their teachers and the other kids... but it took time and prayer and just going to various churches to find this one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2010