How do you start a coffee shop?

I'm thinking of starting a coffee shop where I live and I want to know how does someone get started in that sort of venture?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 7:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Financing for your venture :) , location, supplies, distributors of your product, business plan, bank account, register your business name, business license,.....i'm sure there's more.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure that this is a great time for opening a coffee shop...I was a barista during the years when coffee houses were the "it" thing and was involved in the opening of several and it's a tough, tough business to profit from. You need to either have a TON of money to dump into the initial set up or you have to find exactly the right niche and know exactly where to put your money and where to skimp. Add in the struggling economy and the fact that every finance article advises people that they can save hundreds a year by brewing their own coffee....even Starbucks is feeling the pinch.

If you are really serious about this though, message me and I'll be happy to tell you answer any questions you have. I've managed several shops and been involved in the direct setup of most of them.

jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 7:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I am working for a small local chain. Don't do it

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2010