do undies under pull ups really work??

So i have been doing the 3 day method with my son. Today is day 3 and he is still having accidents. The only time he pees on the potty is if I know he has to go and take him myself, otherwise its another mess. I had to make dinner tonight so i put him in undies with a pull up over them. while we were eating he peed him them and tried to jump out of his highchair, it seemed to really bother him. Tomorrow we go back to being out of the house and I was thinking of putting him in pullups because I can't bring 10 outfits with us everywhere. I don't mind the wet undies, so do you think this would be better than just pullups. And also, how well do pull ups hold the pee?? I'm totally new at this. Thanks for any suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i tried it with my dd and it did nothig for her she just thought it was funny and kept smacking at her butt lol but u can try for some it might not work but others it will do wonders good luck!!!
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I've done it with my little one who's training. So far she hasn't peed in her undies/pull-up combination while we've been out, though. I even sent her to school for 5.5 hours and she peed twice in the toilet (when they took her) and kept dry the rest of the time. The only time she has peed in the undies with a pull-up over them has been during her nap- it did still wake her up and bother her. I think the pull-up should be plenty absorbent enough to hold one pee, and he's likely to let you know if that happens so you can change him. Keep in mind that even as the 3-day method starts really working and he starts telling you he needs to go at home (keep at it, it took about 7 days for us), you may still need to be the one to initiate the potty trips while you're out. We took both our girls right before leaving he house, right when we got where we were going (or 1/2 hr after leaving, whichever was later), and 1 hr after that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Get rid of the pullups - seriously! They're just a glorified more expensive diaper! I know the mess sucks, and changing clothes, but if you get rid of the pullups entirely you'll get farther faster. My son has been potty trained less than a week, never out of the house in anything but a diaper, and today we took a huge chance and went shopping over an hour from home, 3 stores, lunch out, etc - and he did not have one single accident. He told us when he had to go (the same as at home) and went when we then took him. If he's not getting it, and especially isn't telling you, then maybe he's not quite ready and needs a few more months. We tried for a year and a half, every couple of months, and finally last week it clicked - after going through so many accidents and all his unders in 2 days, it clicked!
    Anonymous

• taking pull ups away is the best way. My oldest was extremely hard and it wasn't till I took those away which are just diapers that we made progress. There will be messes but I have talked to many others who say it works and it did!
    Anonymous