Clingy! (insert HUGE font here)

Help! My 11 month old dtr is horribly clingy...she cries all the time when I try to put her down. She doesn't act this way at daycare, but at home she's so clingy. what should I do? How can I stop the cycle, is she too early to "learn"? Thanks!

clransom

Asked by clransom at 7:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont have an answer for you i came on here to ask the same thing but my son is only 8 months old. He just always wants my attention and if i leave the room he crys.
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• She loves you and wants to be with you; this is normal. Use a sling or other carrier.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• She misses you being in daycare, what is so bad about her being clingy for the few hours she gets to spend with you. I am SAHM and my 20 month old can be clingy and when she does it days and days, I leave her with daddy and go somewhere so I don't get crazy feeling, but if I only saw her ever so often I wouldn't mind.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Your best chance of having independent, confident children is to give them as much attention and affection you can, IMO. They'll know they can trust you'll meet their needs... it just takes time. This is age appropriate. Nothing for him to "learn" now except that mommy is there for him... I know it isn't always easy... we do have our own needs, too... hang in there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I completely agree with EmilySusan. This is a developmental stage, you can't teach them out of it. She clings to you and not the daycare people because you are the one she has formed the strongest attachment with. This is good. All you can do is hang in there and plan on having a little one velcroed to your hip for a while!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Emily hit it right on the head. My kids were attended to whenever and however they needed as infants and up till about 2 years old. I now have a very confident independent almost 5 year old and an almost 3 year old following the same path as her older brother.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• babies will cry when you leave the room because they love you. Try to take note of specific times she is fussy...trust me i know it may seem like all the time but really its probably not. My son gets extra extra fussy and wants extra attention at night time usually because during the day he is playing with himself keeping himself entertained. Then when it comes to the end of the day he just wanst some love and attention. Your daughter probably does it because she misses you while shes in daycare.
    BabyMama909

Answer by BabyMama909 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Thanks guys! Sometimes its hard to think clearly when you have a gazillion things to do and you work full time, etc. I know she misses me, and I miss her horribly, sometimes you just have to think in a different perspective!
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 7:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2010