Who Cares?? Do people really buy stuff because of this?

This is a quote from another answer post, I have seen it before and it drives me CRAZY! It's really angering that anyone would bash someone elses business this way! Besides, Who the hell cares? I mean, do people really pay attention to this stuff or buy products because of this? I know I don't!!

Here's the quote:
"Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products; I consider them to be immoral companies"

They donate because they choose to... How does that make them immoral? Maybe they should just stop donating money - which saves lives - and then there wouldn't be any conflict... Come on, who really cares?

**And just as a note, I don't sell or buy from either, it's just overly annoying to see this all the damn time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Boycotting companies personally has no real affect, but if it makes the person doing it feel they're making a stand, I don't see a problem.

A lot of people boycott Nestle, Walmart, etc because of unjust business practices.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I find that it's something that you do as you get older. As i prefer to shop at target vs walmart because they give back to the community, are more helpful and their stores are cleaner. I buy things from companies that i feel do goods things with what is given to them. I eat out at chickfila and in and out because they're companies that treat their employees fairly and also have a lot of community outreach programs. The fact that they all speak English and are nice is just a bonus. So yes I do shop at certain places for certain reasons now that i'm older and am afforded the option.
    Anonymous

• I do. If I have 2 companies to choose from that are comparable and one makes social decisions that I don't agree with, I'll choose the other.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'm a little confused. Are you asking Does the pink ribbon on the package make you buy that brand? or are you asking if people really shun "immoral" "hypocritical" companies that use unsafe ingredients?  Personally, the pink ribbon does nothing for me because the Koman foundation is in bed with Planned Parenthood. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I sell Avon and I have to admit the lady who writes that quote all the time drives me nuts. But I have some causes I feel strongly about and so I respect her right to her opinion. I haven't noticed that it affects anything but if it makes her feel better it's okay.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2010