Is there anything that I can do to get my daughter's hickups to go away faster?

My daughter is 3 weeks old tomorrow and gets the hickups a lot and a lot of the time it will wake her up. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way for me to get rid of them faster?

Acutey999

Asked by Acutey999 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Actually aliishott2 she could be talking about breastfeeding and/or bottle feeding, both use nipples. I have never heard of burping getting rid of hiccups.
    Babies get hiccups because their diaphragms are still developing. Parents are more put out by them then babies usually are. Don't worry too much her little body will get rid of them and soon her diaphragm will mature and she won't get them as much.
    Congratulations on your LO :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• She's probably swallowing air as she eats. Make sure she has a good latch on the nipple

Answer by admckenzie at 8:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• that would imply that she's breastfeeding which she might not be...either way burping her should help get rid of them
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I am not breastfeeding anymore. I have noticed that she does get them more if she doesn't burp when I do burp her. But I was just wondering if there was something that I can do to make them shorter. My doctor already told me that they were normal and it was fine it just gets really frustrating when I just put her to sleep and then she gets the hiccups and wakes up.
    Acutey999

Answer by Acutey999 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2010