How can I break her of this?

My daughter is almost 16 months old. She is not wanting to listen and is throwing major tantrums. If she doesnt get her way then she throws tantrum. It is getting very frustrating and there are times i feel as if im going to blow up on her. Is there any advice you moms can give. Any tips at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I posted a question similiar to this earlier today. My 18 month old son turns into a crazy person when told No, Don't do that, That's not safe, etc.... and with all the criticism I got, the best person suggested a book called Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves. I am going to look into it. I have tried so many different techniques of discipline. But know he is his own person and sometimes personality just can't be changed, after all, he is my son. And my parents said my tantrums were so bad I bit the carpet and lifted it with my teeth....so my son throwing himself into a wall every day is minor LOL but I understand your frustration. I want to yell Shut Up at least 3x a day. Being a SAHM is trying but rewarding. I am consistant in all I do, have a pretty tight schedule to keep my sanity. Plus I have a mental health degree and worked with "problem children" for 5 years. But a tantrum-throwing-non "communicating baby"...ugh
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• when my daughter does that, I walk her to her room and tell her she can't come out until she stops the fit. She can throw the fit if she wants, and I get a bit of peace and quiet.

The amount of fits is getting drastically less, and more often than not they stop when I just mention for her to go to her room.
    Anonymous

• You don't swim against the rip tide, you relax and go with the current. Same with children. You are fighting with a little child and causing frustration. Relax and pick your battles. What is she not wanting to listen to? Are you always saying "no" to her? She has no clue what that means so stop. Tell her yes things. Give her things she CAN do. Take her places that are child friendly. Put up things you don't want her to touch. She's throwing tantrums bc you are pushing her beyond what she's capable of telling you. So chill and just have fun with her. She's a little child not a teen. Cut her some slack. Change you and be nicer and she'll follow suit. Children learn what they live.
    Anonymous

• OMG, anon did NOT say that! She is trying to tell you moms something and anon throws her in a jail cell/room alone and makes her stay there bc anon doesn't listen to what the kid is saying by her actions? At that age she shouldn't be in time out more than ONE MINUTE anyway. That's just insane.
    Anonymous

• ANON is REASONING with a toddler who can't understand wtf she's saying? Stay in until she stops the fit throwing? How crazy is that? Does ANON really think the child will sit down and contemplate her actions and stop then apologize to mom ...then ask to borrow the car for the prom? Why can't people get licenses to have children? Just love your child. Give her lots of hugs and don't stress her. Tantrums are toddlers ways of expressing themselves. Find out what she's trying to say to you
    Anonymous

• I started putting her in time out in a play pin because she just wont stay in a corner or a room and i was starting to get frustrated with keeping her there. I put her in there and get on her level and explain to her why she is in there. Then just leave her alone and not pay any attention to her. slowly shes listened better and is now afraid to go in there. while shes in there i make sure that she sees that other people in the house are having fun (to show what shes missing when she missbehaves) now i just have to mention time out and she stops whatever shes doing
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 9:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Can't people learn how to outsmart little kids? It's so simple. Just think about it. What would you do if someone who didn't speak english tried to communicate with you? It would be frustrating and so it is for toddlers. Calm down and see what YOU can do to stop the tantrum. They are reacting to you, your energy and your behavior. Change YOU and the baby will do the same.
    Anonymous

• If you don't nip the tantrums in the bud now they will only get worse. I would ride out the tantrum, let her throw them,  but don't give in to her demands, whether it's that she wants something she can't have or it's to stop touching something. Ignore the bad behavior and reward the good. Even at an early age, kids get it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• btw I have been doing the "time out" in his playpen for a couple minutes when he does something he knows he is not to do. for example, he wants to put his toy vaccum on the coffee table daily. he looks at me, i tell him "don't do that, it goes on the floor not the table" and remove it for him. then he does it again....testing his boundaries. that's just ONE example. so i put him in the play pen and say "I told you not to do that" and walk away. he screams and cries, but it's better than smacking his hand. the things we sometimes tell them NO or not to do are not a control thing, they are for their safety or just teaching them respect for objects. i mean, if i don't want him crawling on coffee tables at other people houses, why would i let him do it on ours? they do have to be corrected. and they do test boundaries, that is how they learn.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• You can not "break" her of it, because it's completely normal for children her age to throw tantrums. Yeah, it's embarrassing and annoying, but it's NORMAL. Please don't hit your child...that's sadistic and cruel. They can't help throwing tantrums, so why would you punush them for what they can not help?

The best thing you can do is ignore her. Stay close by though. Toddlers are often scared by such strong emotions and they need someone to comfort them. Be prepared to cuddle them AFTER the tantrum.

This too shall pass! My daughter is 20 months old, and her tantrums are short-lived.
    Anonymous