How do you keep your child in there toddler bed?

I just changed my son's bed from a crib to a toddler bed. At first it was going really well, he was exited and went to be ok. After about an hour he got up and started crying and I could hear get out of bed. I have now put him back to bed 3 times.
He is 19 months old and figured out how to climb out of his crib. He has only done it twice, but that was enough for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would sit by the bed until they fell asleep.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I'd put a gate on the door to the childproofed bedroom, and a couple nightlights, and at least one soft huggy stuffed animal, and tell him that he doesn't need to stay in bed but he must stay in his room. If you don't want to do this, then I'd lead him back to his bed as often as it takes.

Answer by Bmat at 9:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I agree with cindy i would sit by the bed on the floor not looking at the baby and everytime baby gets out i'd put him back in and it might take a while but baby will get tired and stay in the bed
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I definitely would not sit in his room until he falls asleep. Then he will be dependent on you being in there to fall asleep. Ive found that if my dd has only a dim night light she wont get out of her bed because she cant see. (hopefully she wont develop a fear of the dark) Good Luck!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2010