birth control pill advice

This question that i am asking you about is exactly why sex ed needs to be reshaped in schools.

I don't know anything about the pill, and I have been on it for a while. I am still super scared every month that I am pregnant.
1. If i miss a day, should i take them both the next day if i don't realize I didn't take the day befores until i see the next pill?
2.After missing a pill for half a day, or whole day (See above), am I going to get pregnant while I am waiting on the pill's chemicals to get back into my system?
3. How long does a pill work? more than 24 hours? or if I have sex like 22 hours after taking a pill, and am not exaclty on time for the next one, how long before the first one leaves my system and the next one enters?
4. Is it okay to switch the type of pill I am on every 5 or so months? I get samples for free, so i get what i get? does that mess up my system?

I know these sound stupid, srry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• These are valid questions that the prescriber should have told this person about BEFORE prescribing the pill, OR the pharmacist should have described proper birth control usage when he/she filled the prescription for the first time. if they're samples it's hard to get your hands on the patient leaflet describing proper useage unless you know where to look online, and those things can be really hard to read anyway.

The poster should have educated herself about the pill and asked these questions of her doctor before she asked for the prescription, but the doctor also dropped the ball in a serious way here.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• First this is not why sex ed should be reshaped, but why doctors need to stop prescribing drugs without going over the FAQ.

1. you take both pills the next day and use back up protection until the next pack.
    2. you take the pill as soon as you notice and then use back up protection for the rest of the pack.
    3. the pill needs to be taken within an hour of the same time every day in order to keep the hormones in your body on track.
    4. Switching can cause problems with side effects but as long as you start the new kind at the same time you would be starting a new pack of the old kind (don't miss any days) then you are still covered.

Talk with the doctor about this and any other questions. Antibiotics can negate the pill and many other things are never told to people especially young women. The pill is handed out like candy with no discussion of the possible side effects or how to handle things like this.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2010