How many schools did you have lined up for your child?

I assume I have to choose a few incase our daughter can't get into our first choice. But how many? How far in advance do you have to apply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• are you trying to get her into prep school?
    Anonymous

• No. Where I live we have Charter and Magnet schools. One uses a lottery and the other you must live in the area.
    Anonymous

• We had three. Our first choice we got into and there was no waiting due to the price tag. It is very expensive so most people who attend are more weatlhy and there are usually a few extra slots during the year in each class. Also since the recession, more slots became available as those parents who sacrificed more of their funds towards school decided they just were not able to come back. Probably some of those parents lost jobs. Our second choice was a private preschool and kindergarden that we were accepted into after years on the waiting list. He had been on the list since birth. Our third choice is the school we are zoned for. It is a public school that has a special Montessori program attatched. It is $500 a month to attend so usually it is not too hard to have a slot available. Most people don't want to pay for "public" school.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• We had one. When our first son was getting to school age we were actually told by a staff (a friend) at our catchment area school not to send him there. So we put him on a waiting list to go to a local Catholic school (still public, no tuition), but we then learned about the french immersion program offered at our catchment school. It is still the same building, but avoided the issues we were warned about because is is a separate program run out of the same school. And it has the added benefit of making our kids bilingual. So my oldest and second son are currently attending, my niece is enrolled for K for the fall and my youngest will go there in Sept '11. The teachers are amazing, the class sizes are smaller and my kids are getting a great education! All at a public school.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Just one. It was the only choice in the small town we live in and it's public.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Never had that problem. When my oldest started kindergarten we were living in a small town and there was only one public school.
    We moved before she started 2nd grade and the public school here had no room for her. They were going to bus her to another public school is some unknown area of the city. Charter schools weren't an option since you have to transport them yourself and I have no car of my own so they go to the local Catholic school for now until we can move again.
    Most people I know just send their kids to their local PS (if they have room).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• None, we homeschool, and if we didn't there would only be one since we live in a rural area and could afford to send them into the city to a private school.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 3:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2010