my 1 yr old keeps hitting imself in the head?

ok, my son is going to be 1 yr old sunday. he was diagnosed with eczema about 2 months ago. it only shows up around his diaper line and sock line. we have it under control with medication. but every now and then, i think his head itches and he scratches. we tell him no and he stops. but the last week or so, he has started hitting himself in the head. like slapping his head. (not sure if its a way to avoid getting in trouble for itching) its usually on the side of his forehead into his hair line. has anyone else had this with their kids?? he's my first, so i'm not sure if this is a phase he's going through like the screaming thing is..

aj5momma

Asked by aj5momma at 9:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is pissed off, and that is what they do at this age they hit themselves when they are mad about not being able to do something.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• its something he does at any time, playing, in the bath, running around. whether he's happy or mad. when he's mad, he tells us. we know that one..lol
    aj5momma

Answer by aj5momma at 9:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son does that too. Haha I'm not sure why. But he's fine.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• My son does this..and now i think were the reason he hasnt stopped because i try to tell him to stop but we laugh so hard that i can barely get it out!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• It could be the itching, I suppose... but for my kiddos, it's usually been frustration. They've got things they want to do or communicate, and they just CAN'T. It's really rough sometimes for them, and I think that the hitting (themselves or others) can often just be a way of saying "Aaargh!" (Not that it's okay to hit others in frustration... but understanding where they're coming from can only help you respond more effectively.)

I'd say it's probably a phase, and helping him to communicate - even if it's just to verbalize some feeling words for him (Wow, you're really angry. You feel mad!) or giving him some sign language to bridge the gap between his thoughts/feelings and his ability to express them - is probably the best that you can do for him right now. Unless something else is going on, they usually won't actually do harm to themselves.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I guess its just frustration. Sometimes out of the blue my son will hit his head or smack himself in the head. Doctor just says its a behavior problem, but sometimes I wonder...
    PrincessLisa75

Answer by PrincessLisa75 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Frustration!!!! My son does this too! When he gets mad or frustrated he'll hit is head or face. Not all babies do this but I guess some of them use it as a stress reliever and to get out frustration. When my son does this, I gently hold him so he can't hit himself and softly tell him, "I know your frustrated honey, but don't hit yourself, it's not nice and it hurts! Ouch!" Then I try to distract him with a toy or game that I know he likes. (today he was doing this at a restraunt, I brought in his carseat, set him in and took off his shoes and socks.. and when I noticed it helped but he was still cranky.. I put his socks on his hands..he thought it was the funniest thing EVER! When he would put the socks up to his face I'd quickly yank his hand back and yell in a silly voice, "YUCK those are smelly sock-gloves! EEW!" which had him belly laughing in no time :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2010