teaching BC in sex ed??

my last post didnt get any response!! so here it is again... questions that i want answers too, but no one ever talks about it.

I don't know anything about the pill, and I have been on it for a while. I am still super scared every month that I am pregnant.
1. If i miss a day, should i take them both the next day if i don't realize I didn't take the day befores until i see the next pill?
2.After missing a pill for half a day, or whole day (See above), am I going to get pregnant while I am waiting on the pill's chemicals to get back into my system?
3. How long does a pill work? more than 24 hours? or if I have sex like 22 hours after taking a pill, and am not exaclty on time for the next one, how long before the first one leaves my system and the next one enters?
4. Is it okay to switch the type of pill I am on every 5 or so months? I got free samples, so i get what i get.

honeybee429

Asked by honeybee429 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• Yes you can take the pil with the other the next day but no more than 2 in a day, and if you miss a day you have a higher chance of getting pregnant, it lasts 24 hours. You really need to speak with your doctor about this so that you can get all of the information you need about the BC that you are taking. My answer is in general but different kinds have different rules.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were someone asking if sex ed in schools SHOULD be revised lol. I was trying to say that these things are important to know, and that the answers are sometimes hard to find. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    1. If you miss a pill take it as soon as you remember, this may mean taking two at once. If you miss two pills, take an extra one with the next two doses, three or more contact your doctor and use a backup method.
    2. It is usually recommended to use a backup method (like condoms) for a week after missing a pill to make sure that if you DID ovulate that the egg is not fertilized.
    3. Depends on which type of pill. The Minipill works for about exactly 24 hours, even an hour delay can cause ovulation. The combo pill lasts longer, and missing ONE pill per pack is unlikely to result in pregnancy.
    4. It's ok to switch until you find one you like, but yeah, switching that often will cause probs
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Who the heck gave you the pills? It doesn't matter to me if it's planned parenthood or your personal doctor but they should have answered all these questions and made sure you understood before giving them to you.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Your doctor should be having this discussion with you:

1. If i miss a day, should i take them both the next day if i don't realize I didn't take the day befores until i see the next pill? Yes
    2.After missing a pill for half a day, or whole day (See above), am I going to get pregnant while I am waiting on the pill's chemicals to get back into my system? If you miss a whole day, use a back up form of birth control until your next period.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• and you should also check your blood pressure every three months.

• I'll answer the school question. They can teach BC in sex ed IF they also teach the dangers/side effects of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I think it would a great idea to teach both boys and girls aboutr birth control because they obviously don't know much about it. And it seems parents are not doing their job of talking with their kids...there are too many teenage unwed mothers. It is a depressing thing.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• girl you could take the pill religiously and still get pregnant.. i think it takes a month for it to become effective, and i've heard of girls doubling up pill when they forgot, but i've also heard of them becoming pregnant on the pill.. so maybe use more than one type of birth control.. don't completely rely on the pill..
    victoriaherring

Answer by victoriaherring at 1:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• The answers to those questions should be in the information insert that comes in the box with your pills. I have taken birth control pills for years and everything I have been on details all that stuff in the insert along with the percentage chance you could pregnant while taking the pill. You should be reading the insert.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 2:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your last question should be a question for your doctor.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 2:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2010