Quitting Smoking

I've been a smoker since I was 10 years old. When I was 17 I quit for 2 years and then started back up due to alot of stress in my life. I quit for the most part when I was pregnant and as soon as my son was born I started up again. Sometimes I do enjoy it but its now its just a bad habit. I smoke about 1 to 2 packs a week depending on my stress level, I'd really like to quit before my son gets any older. I dont smoke around him but I know its probably not good for him to smell it on me. What can I do to help myself stop smoking? I don't think any of those products would work because I don't smoke as often as most people who use them and cold turkey wont work, I've tried. Anyone have any suggestions?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Health

• with the amount you smoke, just cold turkey will be your best option!

because you don't smoke much, the patch is too much nicotine.

maybe try the gum

Anonymous

• I'm in the same boat as you...
    I've been smoking for about 5 years now. Said I'd quit by the time I was 25, well that came and went. I quit while I was pregnant but started right back up to help lose weight. I also enjoy a cigarette sometimes, really enjoy it, but now I smoke so regularly at work I really don't enjoy it, it's like you said, a bad habit.
    I used the nicotine patches for almost 3 months, and than finally was able to go awhile without even a craving so I stopped using them. They did work. However, I made a stupid choice to start again because of stress at work and in the family. I didn't crave them, I just remembered how they helped me before and not it's once again a habit.
    So I guess if you're not stressed out about much right now, it might be a good time to try.
    Anonymous

• well its either the products or cold turkey - there is not really another option.
    cold turkey here - havent had one in a week and 1/2, 1 day at a time..
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• there is this new thing out that works awesome. Its an electronic cig, and u can smoke it anywhere because all it is, is water vapor. and u can cut down the nic, as u feel is comfy
    Anonymous

• hubby used chantix- I don't know if it's still available, but it worked wonders for him. He'd been smoking for about 17 years and had tried to quit several times before. He smoked about 2 packs a week and has been smoke-free for just over a year now!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2010