picky 2 yr old

my son is just now 2 yrs old and is very very picky about what he eats. I need some advice on what to feed him that he would like.

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow, from all the questions on here about picky 2yr olds, including my own, I would say ALL 2yr olds are picky lol. My daughter is 2 and a half, and I can't get her to eat ANYTHING that's good for her. Try supplementing with V8 juices that are a full serving of fruit and veggies in every cup...and you'll need to find some source of protien to give him. I think it's just a stage they go through, there's NOTHING I can get my daughter to eat...hopefully she'll go through it. I've tried everything from sending her to bed hungry, to bribing her with snacks...I can't figure out a way to get her to eat right. All she'll eat is mac'n cheese, spaghetti-o's, ramen noodles, which are SO bad for you lol, and toast with peanut butter. There's not much she'll eat...so I know how you feel. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Two year olds are picky eaters. Just offer him a variety of healthy foods several times a day. Once you put it in front of him your job is over. He eats what he eats, he doesn't eat what he doesn't eat. He will eat enough and make sure he gets what he needs.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Feed him normal foods. Don't give in and feed him only what he wants - that's what makes a picky child. Don't enable it. You dno't want to be a short-order cook for life. Make 1 meal per mealtime - if the kid decides he doesn't want it, he'll get it put back in front of him when he's hungry or asks for food. He won't starve.
    Anonymous

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers. I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg. Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2010