dry skin on scalp

dd is 8 weeks old. just gave her a bath and while combing her hair (she has a head full of hair) i noticed dry skin on her scalp. im going to wait for a couple of hours to see if it settles but was wondering what i could apply.
i know cradle cap is a common condition but she didnt have it at all since birth and i always thought if its cradle cap it shows up soon after birth.

happymum2010

Asked by happymum2010 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cradle cap shows up anytime!! not just right after birth. . . you need to scrub her hair really well and apply baby oil. . . works like a charm.
    Anonymous

• My dd got cradle cap later on and what I did for it was before her bath I put johnsons baby oil all over her scalp. Let it set for at least an hour and run the comb gently through her hair to try to get as much of the dry skin as possible off. Then continue her bath like normal.

I only had to do this once but sometimes, I've heard, it takes a couple of treatments before its all gone. GL
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 10:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• thanks girls for the prompt answers :)
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• i personally wouldnt scrub to hard or apply oil just yet. it could irritate the scalp more. some babies peel EVERYWHERE after they are born. my dd did as well as my ds. my ds was a little worse. and his "dry skin flakes" lasted a little longer. but by 3.5 months all little flakes on his scalp were gone. i know it is annoying and you just want it gone and to pick it off!!! but if i were you id just let it be. bathe and moisturize her like normal. and if you think it is consistently getting worse or the problem persist, then maybe seek advise from a doctor or try the oils. aquaphor (its like vaseline) is great on babies dry skin. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Just rub a little coconut or olive oil on her head

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010