gasping noises and gaging?

my son will be a month old tomorrow. and pretty much since the day he was born, he makes these gasping sounds, he does it when hes awake and asleep. it makes me really nervous, he does change color and it doesnt seem to bother him and he continues to breath normally. is that normal?? he also gags, sometimes when hes eating, which im sure is normal. but sometimes he does it when hes sleeping or just laying there awake. has anyone experienced this with babies this young? was there a problem? or is this normal? please help!

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the gasping is normal. my 2 month old does it too. its because their systems are immature and their pipes are quite narrow yet. as long as he is comfortable you dont need to worry.
    gagging is common while eating. its probably because the milk is flowing faster than they can swallow. i too notice that she sometimes coughs or gags a bit while in her sleep. if im near her then i just slightly turn her to one side and gently pat her back.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was going to say sleep apnea but if he's breathing normal I think it's fine. I recall my kids doing the gasping thing too.
    Anonymous

• This sounds like something you need to bring up with his pediatrician. It could be enlarged adnoids or something like that. At the very least you will get peace of mind. GL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010