What items are absolutely necessary ( or just really useful ) for baby?

I am 31 weeks, and so far, we have bought a fair amount of stuff.
But i feel like we are not "ready" for baby.

What Items did you feel were a necessity ?
What is just a luxury?
are there anythings that I wouldn't "think" about that could be really useful???

just want an idea of what I am lacking!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

o0o_Alleigh_o0o

Asked by o0o_Alleigh_o0o at 2:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• bath stuff, like towels, wash cloth, shampoo.
    diapers, wipes, rash cream.
    bottles, pacifiers, nipples.
    alcohol, and cotton balls at least for the first month or until the umbilical cord falls off. stroller, car seat, crib, change of bedding,( a few sheets). a swing or a tummy time mat just something you can lay the baby. some of these things are obvious but you'd never imagine the things that you'd forget when in a rush, ( I over thought things and forgot about the little stuff) you can always get these things after the baby is born too.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 2:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• What I did before both my kids were born was walk up and down the baby isles in WalMart and ask "Do we need this?" for everything I saw. lol

Items you need are pretty much common sense. Clothes (onsies are excellent for the summer), diapers (cloth or disposable), blanket, bottles and extra nipples (if not nursing) or breast pump (if nursing), nursing pillow, wipes, diaper rash creme, baby soap/shampoo, baby socks, soft towel, diaper bag (or a big bag to use as one...I've used backpacks before),

Um...that's all i can think of. Those are the must haves. Everything else is a matter of convenience or personal preference. Such as cribs (some people co-sleep), changing table (could use the bed, couch, or floor), etc.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Oh forgot about a carseat. Stroller or sling too.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i didn't get a changing table thinking i could do it on the floor or anywhere...boy i wish i would've gotten one! i hate doing diapers on the bed or couch...it's much easier to stand and do it.

if you're doing formula - they have this formula dispenser at walmart (parent's choice i think) and i couldn't have lived w/o it! you can put in enuf for 3 bottles and put it in your diaper bag.

lots of bibs! we went thru so many - and don't worry w/ the cute ones! they just get ruined! OH - definitly try to find one that is sorta vinyl or plastic and you can just wash it off after eating (which won't be for a few months, but still) I love them!

Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I got a boppy. I used it for breastfeeding and just as an extra support for holding my baby during the first month ( I had a c-section, so it was a huge help), we continued to use it as she was learning to sit up, she is now 14 months and still uses it as she is playing...I may never get rid of it! :)
    gabby423

Answer by gabby423 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• A swing was my saving grace for all three of my babies. When they were having their cranky time, and they didnt want to be held, but they didnt want to lay in their beds either, I put them in their swing.. and the world was good again. Thats definatly a must have on my list. ~Kristin~
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 3:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• a swing, wash cloths for the days where you cant put baby in bath because of umbilical cord, tylonol or ibuprophen, and there are any number of toys that (after the baby can hold up its own head) you can place baby in so his/her feet touch the floor and they can jump arround.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• a jumper-roo (when they're old enough). theyre much safer then the ones that hang from the doorway.
    bkristine_00

Answer by bkristine_00 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2008