• In the Spotlight:

Should I get my kid a phone?

My kid wants a phone really badly. She said that everyone has a phone and that they have touchscreens, slides, and keyboards. And I don't know, she could really use one though! She said NOT to get her a flip phone because they were so last year. Should I get her a phone and if I do should I get her the palm pixi? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is she ever anywhere where there are no adults present? If so, maybe. However I would't get her the current "in" phone just because "everybody" has one. That sets a horrible precident. Is she even allowed to have them at school? At our school, if students are caught with phones during school hours, they are confiscated until the end of the year, after one warning. Let me tell you, there are a lot of angry parents every year because their kids can't follow the rules.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Well, the way I look at it is that if she goes out with friends often, is involved in after school activities or you are away from her on a regular basis, then sure, get her a phone. If she is at home all the time, it's pointless.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• you left out how old she is
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I have a kid in 5th grade who says she is the only kid in her class who doesn't have a cell phone. The boy next door who is in her class got an ipod for Christmas. I don't care, though. I am not buying my kid a cell phone because she has no need for one- it's just another bill for me to pay! She goes to elementary school, she rides the bus there and back. If she participates in any after school activity at school, she can call me from the school phone when it's time to pick her up if there is no designated time for me to be there. She is too irresponsible to keep up with things as well. If you think your kid is responsible enough, or really has a need then by all means, go ahead! But if it's just because she wants one "just because," then I wouldn't. And I certainly wouldn't buy an expensive phone unless you are certain that your kid is responsible enough to keep up with it and keep it safe. Phones get stolen at school, too.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Shes 10 going on 11 in June
    Anonymous

• I personally will not get my daughter one until Jr. High which is 6th grade here. I will also start her out with a more basic phone and once she proves responsibility then possibly get her a nicer one. We learned this lesson with my 17 yr old SS. We got a very nice phone for him right off the bat and it was lost within a couple months. He has gone through about 10 phones in 2 yrs and buys his own now. We paid for the first and that was it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Not everyone has a phone! She does not NEED one. I have 4 children and the older 3 did not get theirs until they were in high school and in situations where they might be riding with a friend in their car or driving themselves.
    IF you chose to give in to her whining, DoNot get her the trendy phone, she's almost 11 and not able to pay for her own bill. I'd even get her a tracphone or other prepaid phone where she has to earn her phone time.
    And check your school's policy for cell phones at school. Our school district restricts cell phones. They can only be ON before and after school. They are to be OFF and in a pocket or purse during the school day.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No phones until they have a job & can pay for it. A phone is a privilege not a toy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2010

• I got my 11 yr old son a $20 phone from Dollar General.It is prepaid.And he is pretty good about not using it too much.I got it because Ithought he would loose it in two weeks.A year later he still has it, and it is a good phone.It doesn't have all the bells and whistles.You could do something like that to see if she will be responsible with it.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 4:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2010