toddlers going on "diets"?

Not putting them on diets, but when toddlers decide all of the sudden that they'll only eat one or two things and nothing else. Anyone else's kids do that? My 17 month old only ate raisins for a week and drank milk, now it's only juice and certain fruits. Refuses to eat meat veggies bread or cheese. She's never really had junk food but right now it's all fruit. Is that weird?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 11:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no shell be fine!
    Anonymous

• My sisters son ate nothing but squeeze cheese from a can for the longest time. They doctor told her not to worry, as long as he maintained a healthy weight he would be fine. Eventually he grew out of it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• Keep offering the foods even if they won't eat it. Sometimes we make a game out of it. We sit at the table and say, 1-2-3 eat! and then we all take a bite. If my DS has one food on his plate he likes more than others, he has to eat the other food first, then he gets 2nds on the one he likes.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• most kids do it at some point or another. my son lived off of bananas, raisins and milk for almost 2 weeks.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating them. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers. I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg. Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010