Can you walk me through a D&C?

I had my 13 week appointment today and found out the baby stopped growing 3 weeks ago. This is my second miscarriage in a row so we are really devistated. I am having a d&c tomorrow, but I couldn't ask the doctor any questions because it was such a shock to me. Can you tell me what is going to happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had one done in the doctor's office. They gave me something to relax and then they began. There is no pain. It was like getting a pelvic ultrasound. There is some bleeding afterward and you will be tired for a couple of days but that's about it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• sorry to hear about your lose, i had this happen only i was four months along.. Well to be honest i was os scared, sad my baby died that all I remember is them laying me on a cold table trying to calm me down.. maybe talk to the doctor before going in
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• if they do it at the hospital you will be put to sleep...they go in through your legs and scrape out the uterus and cervix...i had a miscarriage and d&c 4 years ago....i was 4 months, i bled for a month straight after my d&c...you won't feel any pain
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I was at the hospital & they didn't put me to sleep .. there was no pain.. i think there was heavy meds.. sorry again.. Oh, yes I remember bleeding for about a month after also..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2010

• I just wanted to let you know that if you prefer you can let the baby pass on it's own. It's totally up to you and I'm not trying to pressure you into anything. I just know that a friend of mine wanted to let her baby pass because her previous D&C was very tramatic for her personally (may not be for everyone). She found peace with being able to see and hold her baby (even though it was very tiny) ans say good bye in the comfort of her own home. Her and her husband barried the baby in their family plot.

She was 4 months along at the time.

If you have a D&C, they scrape the uterus to remove all of the tissues and the deceased baby.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. We will be praying for your family.
    Anonymous

• the doctor would not let my baby pass...they even said they wouldn't let her stay in there for a few days, it had to come out cause you can get a severe infection and die from it...they said i had to get it out right away
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Most doctors will tell you that but the truth is that in almost 100% of cases the baby will pass on it's own without any infection.

Again it's your decision but if letting the baby pass naturally is something your interested in than just do some research on it and make your decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I just wanted to say i have done both natural and D&C from pain stand point the d&c is much better.For my personal comfort and modesty I prefer the at home natural one... For the d&c I was admitted into the hospital and well my case is different because I did have an infection so I spent a week in the hospital..the actual procedure didnt take very long at all and was painless(i was "asleep",I stopped bleeding the next day...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I had a D&C at 12 weeks where there baby had quit developing 3 weeks prior. They knocked me out for the procedure. They had me in a regular hospital bed, then gave me something in my IV and as I was getting groggy they had me move onto this wierd bed with stirrups. The next thing I remember I was back in the original hospital bed, and hubby was there. It wasn't painful at all, but the pills I had to take the next 48 hours that cause the uterus to contract caused me some pain, but I was given pain meds so I just took them together.

My OB described the procedure beforehand and said they manually dilate the cervix then scrape/suction until the uterus is empty again. I'm truly sorry for your loss and I hope the physical part is as least over for your soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I urge the D & C. I have my reasons I don't want to throw out there..it would be unfeeling.
    I am sorry for your loss.

Here is what happened in my case,
    I went in and they started two IV's.
    I was sedated and put under general anesthesia.
    The surgery was performed.
    I woke up in recovery.
    I was sore, but ok.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010