Baby eating too much possible or gaining too much weight?

I have a 6 week old baby friday and he weighs 12 lbs 1 ounce, he was 8 lbs 6 ounces when he was born. I feel he is gaining to much weight too fast maybe it is just me but i am a first time mom so i really dont know. I was halfway breastfeeding but recently had to stop all together cause i am going on medication that i cant pass threw my breast milk so he is on nutramagin now. How many ounces should a barley 6 week old eat... he puts down 4 ounces every three hours but recently he wants 5... plzz give advice im a new mommy and only 19.

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 12:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds completely normal to me. My lil one was a non stop eater he is now 11months and still is a non stop eater. Your babys pedi would tell you if he is overweight for his age. If the baby is hungry feed him. Of coarse always let the bottle be the last thing you try when they are crying unless you know its time for feeding. Just know your doing good if hes gaining weight...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'm a first time mom and only 19 as well. My son is 6 mos old now. When he was 6 weeks he was also wanting more than 4 or 5 ounces so i had to stop breastfeeding because he wanted more than i was producing. I think it is normal he is just going to be a big boy like my son is. If he is hungry feed him...he will be happier and keep you happier haha. You might want to try introducing him to rice cereal. I would put a LITTLE bit in my sons bottle to get him used to it first because it makes the formula thicker and they have to learn how to swallow it. Then gradually they will learn and you can use more. I know doctors say they dont need it until they are 3 or 4 mos but thats average babies...we have babies who like to pig out haha the rice cereal will fill him up a little bit more and keep him satisfied for a little longer. But my son is 6 mos. and he will eat 8 ounces of formula plus 2 cans of baby food every 3-4 hours haha
    BabyMama909

Answer by BabyMama909 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No, your baby will not eat too much. Just feed your baby when he's hungry. He's a big boy being 8 lbs 6 oz at birth and may require more than other smaller babies. Babies double their birth wt by about 5 months, triples by 12 months & quadruples by 2 years. If he's gaining, he's growing. Also, big babies don't necessarily mean big toddlers. After they start walking & being active, their weight gain slows a lot. Don't worry, you are doing fine!

PS-I'd bump up the formula & not add cereal until 8 oz of formula every 3-4 hrs wasn't sustaining him. His digestive system is too sensitive right now, but it may not be long that you need to. Ask your pediatrician their advice. Every baby is different, and you want to do what's best for yours.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Normal and fine! Your baby cannot be overweight. My daughter was exclusively breastfed and was 8lbs 12 oz at birth and by two months old she was 15 lbs 12 oz. At four months old, she was 20 lbs. All the time she was chunky but perfectly healthy. Now she is 11/2 and and has not continued to grow at that rate, lol, she is 26 lbs and has been for a little while.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2010