How do I get through without seeming Paronoid???

So I've been watching this case of the missing teenager in California. Chelsea King? The poor girl is in high school, on the track team. is an honor student, goes for a jog in a highly poulated area and is kidnapped. raped and killed by some maniac that has done this sort of thing before. He tried just 2 wks. ago with another girl but she got away. Anyway. yeah...Every parents worst nightmare right? I have raised four other kids, 2 girls and 2 boys and I have 1 daughter left at home that is 12 yrs old and very mature for her age. How do I warn her of these types of dangers without seeming paranoid?

mxmomma05

Asked by mxmomma05 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What's wrong with paranoia? I tell my kids all the time that the worst thing I could ever imagine is losing one of them. First time they all drove off in a car together I said, "I'm trying not to cry, guys, everything I value in the whole world is in that car. Be careful." It's ok for them to know there are dangers out there. And it's ok for you to worry about them. You just need to be up front that you have the fears and you are trusting them to do their best to be safe and come home to you safely every time they leave your side. Tell them that should the worst ever happen, that you want them to try their best to beat the situation, but you will never, ever be angry with them. (Kidnappers try to convince their victims that parents will be angry they left)
    p.s. worst story I heard was a little boy who went in a park bathroom with aunt at the door & he was murdered. I can't get past the fact there's NOTHING different to do.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My mom and I watched alot of lifetime movies and I knew some of the dangers. But my mom was really good at just coming out and telling me about these types of things that happen. She always stressed to go places with at least 1 friend if not more. I know that having a friend or being with a group of people doesn't mean anything but its a start. My mom still to this day is very blunt and protective and i'm married with a baby. but she cares and I dont think she is paranoid. I just always knew she cared about me to talk to me about these things.
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• In this instance, a little paranoia is not a bad thing.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You teach your daughter to be safe! Always have a friend with you, always carry your phone, do not go to remote areas alone, let your parents know where and with who and what time you will be back.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Be up front and honest, better paranoid then the other alternative. My daughter is an adult now but I still worry about her and always will.

One thing I always told my children is that life is not fair and you don't always get what you want. There are bad people out there that only want to hurt you, take precautions and don't become a statictic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• just tell her flat out.

I searched all day yesterday for Chelsea... I was home 30 min. when I got the news she was found. there is no way to beat around the bush or should we with kids this age. Just tell them the truth.

My daughter 15 has taken a rape escape course and is signed up to take it again. I make her take it before each summer when she is permitted to go to the beach with friends. she takes it or she isnt allowed to go to the beach.

when she was 13 and started going to bar/bat mitzvahs I told her about people putting drugs in drinks. kids HAVE to know the truth. I dont scare her.... I inform her.

you do no favors keeping them unaware.
    Anonymous