Religious art

What do you think of someone having religious art displayed, if it's from a religious path or tradition that is not followed in that home? Across the board fine, or across the board tasteless, or something in between?

What makes it inappropriate to you? What makes it acceptable? Does it depend on the art in question - for instance, a psychedelic velvet Jesus painting is just tacky, but a small beautifully carved dancing Shiva statuette is not? Does intent matter? Context?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 12:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have several pieces of religious art, from various religions. I think art is just one of the many ways people express their spirituality. The only thing that would be tacky is if the art somehow made fun of or mocked the faith it was representing.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 12:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Context is everything. If someone left me a Michelangelo, you can guarantee I'd still display it, even if it was one of the pieces commissioned by The Church. If it's something my 4 year old niece draws me at bible school and gives to me, it's still going on the fridge.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I don't care, it's their house, they can hang whatever they want the walls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• 10 COMMANDMENTS WILL TELL YOU-NO GRAVEN IMAGES, This is why I am a Baptist. That and we do not pray to ANYONE but the Lord Jesus. I am just not comfortable with breaking the 10 commandments!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree with anon 40.  It's their walls!

Personally I would rather see religious art than something like a Picasso.  I don't get it!  My kids painted better than that when they were 3.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i like some religious art. i wouldn't get offended with anything anyone had in their own house, and someone shouldn't be offended by what i have displayed in my house, if they dont like it they dont have to look at it..and if their in my house, their one of my friends, so they know what kind of stuff will be in my house before entering lol. (satanic stuff)..i hope one day i'd get my grandpas painting of jesus, even though im not christian, but because its my grandpas painting and i have most of his anyways..its a great painting, and its one of those paintings that looks like his eyes are following you when you walk by LOL

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I love Carravaggio. Anyway, I would never get offended because speaking as an artist, I know its in the eye of the beholder. There are no barriers when it comes to art.

Ive been to art shows and seen some c-RAY-zee stuff. Just walked in, smiled, and walked out. If they like it, then fine, I dont care.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree with anon 40 as well if its someone else's wall then they can put up whatever art they want it wont bother me any. and i also agree with Beeky i've never really liked any of those Picasso artworks. i have found some paintings of the 4 elements that i think is very beautiful and i really want to buy them and if i ever do get them i'm going to put them up in my house if someone else doesnt like them then they dont have to look at them

lol that "psychedelic velvet Jesus painting" thing you said reminded me of a show i used to watch on tv i dont get the channel anymore but it was called clean house and some roommates had this little bright red velvet Jesus piggybank and though im not a christian i even kinda wanted it a little bit lol
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 1:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• How does being a baptist have anything to do with religious art?

I guess your stained glass windows at church are a sin too then, eh?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2010