Our community is working to get ready for a big earthquake. What are you doing to prepare?

It isn't IF, but WHEN. (Not sure where to put this)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Preparing just the same as I always have for any kind of disaster. We have emergency kits to get us through 3 days that we can carry with us and enough food and water and other essentials for two weeks. We're working on getting a 12 month supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Its good to be prepared but I wouldn't go overboard. Do you even live near a fault line? We live just east of the New Madrid and there have been so many predictions about earthquakes. We did actually have an earthquake that you could feel and last year but other than that, we have never had an earthquake that you could feel in my 30 years.
    Our major concerns are tornados. Tornado season is here. We aren't hoping for a tornado but a nice windstorm to damage our roof enough so that insurance would cover it would be nice because we could use a new roof and $500 as opposed $5000 would be more welcomed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Nothing. If the Big One hits, we're screwed. Whatever.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Why did you put this under just for fun? why not put it under sad and depressing? geez.
    Anonymous

• OP: Yes, we do have fault lines here. The city of Portland, Oregon is preparing for a major earthquake. They want all Northwest residents as ready and as educated as possible as to what to do in an earthquake. Experts are predicting a large earthquake in this region.

If I had a "natural disasters" tab I would have put it there.

Anonymous

• We don't get major Earthquakes where I live. We can get tornados, but I don't really fear that either. Those tend to hit the rural areas.
    Anonymous

• We prepared by researching before we bought our house.

"Damage in the region would come primarily from three causes. First, the steep, slopes would be prone to landslides. Second, regions along the rivers where the sediments are mainly sandy and the ground water table is close to the surface are prone to liquefaction where the ground loses strength and flows. The flood plains on the Columbia River near the airport, Swan Island , and Oaks Bottom are examples of high risk liquefaction sites. Third, sites on thick sediments that overlie deep bedrock will amplify earthquake waves and cause more shaking. Houses and buildings, especially brick ones, are more endangered. The deepest sediment sites in the region are located at the centers of the Portland Basin (near the Portland Airport) and the Tualatin Basin (near the Hillsboro Airport).”
    http://www.portlandonline.com/oem/index.cfm?a=92456&c=31813
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2010