Insomnia due to "too much thinking!"... HELP!

I haven't been able to sleep well lately. It takes me hours to fall asleep because my mind is racing.. I'm really into cake decorating and I just keep thinking about ideas and how to do things, etc.
tonight i decided to just stay up instead of not sleeping for 3 hours and do some sketches.
But i want to be able to go to bed at 9 or 10 and SLEEP so im not so exhausted when my 18 month old gets up at 7. but now if i go to bed i lay awake til midnight or 1 just THINKING...

what can i do? i try to "go blank" and then i start to doze and my mind shoots awake again. if i count sheep, i start creating sheep cakes!! haha...

and i cant take sleep aids/pills cuz i have to be coherent if i have to get up in the middle of the night.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Health

• hi i have the same problem i have learned to stay away from all coffee 's an anything with a lot of sugar...i have also stopped putting sugar in my tea an replaced it with honey... also if you can't go to sleep try memorizing something from a book that is very boring it works for me
    diana2630

Answer by diana2630 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I read. After a few pages my eyes start to blurr and eye lids drop and I'm out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I have trouble falling asleep because the grave yard shift is the only time i have to myself. During the day, I am a mommy on the run. Taking my kids to therapy, going to the office, working on my kids bedroom decorating project, ITS ALWAYS GO! GO! GO! I force myself to fall asleep around 2 or 3am and by 7am i am up without problems. Well, i take that back, sleep catches up to me after one or two months of being on the run. Ok, enough about me. like the first lady said, lay off any cafeen and sugars late at night. Cake is not the exception..lol . You can try exercising, this makes me sleepy; you can try reading a boring book or create a schedule and add sleep time to your agenda. Stick with it! Good luck.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I am the same way my mnd starts racing and it drives me nuts, the things i do to help is not eat or drink anything that would stimulate my brain, computer screens are notorius for makign it hard to fall asleep. Normally i get a big glass of water and lay down with a book, dont pick anything to interesting or you will stay up al night reading lol i have found myself awake a 4 am because i couldnt stop reading. I also take nice hot showers before bed it helps relax me. The biggest thing that i have found that helps is making sure i get excercise during the day, i have noticed that if I am on a regular excercise schedule (even going for walks in the neighborhood) I sleep much better.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would suggest you start your bedtime routine sooner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• 2 benedryl and I'm out within 20 minutes. It's hard to sleep when your mind is on high speed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• hi i'm the one who wrote the first one...an i found out sleeping pills are not good for a person...they make you sleep but they do not make you feel rested. i have them an i only take them if i can't sleep for days then it only lets me sleep for about 3 hours an i wake up unrested, tired, ect. don't take the pills unless it's a last resort.
    diana2630

Answer by diana2630 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I have the same problem! I wouldn't suggest sleeping pills, but my Dr. gave me something for anxiety that helps my mind wind down and allows me to get great sleep w/o feeling groggy. I can also wake up at night if I have to, so it works great.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010