Why state certain religions when discussing things but not others?

I've been reading a few posts and noticed that people will randomly point out some peoples religion. For example there was a post about Marie Osmonds sons suicide, and someone posted something like "they are Mormon by the way" -- I mean what does that have to do with suicide? Then another post about Michael Jackson stated he was a child molestor, and someone said "yea he was raised JW" -- like that explained things. Also I notice when people are complaining about someone (usually an ex or relative) they throw things like that in. My MIL is a pain in the ass, shes Morman BTW. Or my Catholic grandma is a hypocrite. Do you think religion explains things like this?

Do we need to state "this serial killer is a Baptist" or "the thief considers himself agnostic" when speaking about people in the news? or say "my abusive, alcoholic ex is Buddhist"?

I mean I just don't get it, whats the point??? Anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• my abusive, alcoholic ex is Buddhist

Trying to get a mental image on that one...not working.

It happens for the same reason we hear about Barack Obama, the first black president, but never hear about George Washington, the first white president.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It's just another attempt to categorize, stereotype, and label. Maybe it comes from a good place for some people, an attempt to understand, but it is usually irrelevant unless the religion had some hand in the act we are talking about (church official steals from church, cult pushes group suicide, catholic priest molests boy because in a system that condemns his open sexuality, etc).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree with you in your discriminating views of people,but I will stop short of saying EVIL DOES NOT EXIST>Satan is the enemy of God and those God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost made in His image!

That old ugly devil will fool others into thinking maybe one group just likes to feel better than other but really one group on the most part is! watch TBN tonight and be blessed with love!THEY GOT HIS POWER! GLORY TO JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 3:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• well she got the madness part right at least
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Usually when someone wants to single out a group, whether consciously or subconsciously, they will do this. It's not just with religions. For example, we're a military family, and I notice when there's a headline like "Sailor kills wife in drunken rage", but you rarely see a headline that says, "Sanitation Worker kills wife in drunken rage" - that one would just read "Man kills wife in drunken rage" (just to make up a headline...)

Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't times where mentioning someones religion or profession in conjunction with something is appropriate and isn't an attack on that particular religion or profession or whatever. Such as when, say, discussing baptism of babies, and I say that my husband, who is Lutheran, believes in it, but I'm Non Denominational Charismatic Christian and I believe in full immersion when you're old enough to choose. We have compromised on the issue...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2010