What kind of pacifier should I use?

I try to nurse, but unfortunately with delivery complications, I don't get to exclusively breastfeed my 3 week old son, so I supplement with formula out of a bottle, and I think he has a sucking need, because he likes to fall asleep with a bottle in his mouth even though he's not sucking after he does. I've decided unfortunately that he should probably have a pacifier, and now I'm not sure which one to get him because I have the wide nipple bottles for breastfeeding/bottlefeeding mothers. The orthodontic nipples for bottles were frowned upon from what I read, so are the orthodontic pacifiers frowned upon too? I don't want to mess up his feeding pattern introducing pacifiers, either. . . Suggestions please?

Zennie2005

Asked by Zennie2005 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just buy a couple and see what one he will like. That what we always did. I would use a silicon one and not the brown colored ones cause they tend to break down and get sticky faster. It will take a bit for your baby to take one you will have to hold it in and keep pushing it back in till he gets the idea of sucking to keep it in.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My DD BFed and had a pacifier her first day of life so I am not convinced of nipple confusion but that is my experience. My DD hated any kind that wasn't the flat ended ones NUK I believe we had to try different kinds, babies are picky about them buy one of each.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Pacifiers are a replacement for mommy; I would just breastfeed more often (it is for comfort as well as nutrition).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• We used a Soothie because it's what the lactation consultant suggested. My 4th and 1st both had a paci since day one and both breastfed until they were 9 months and just over a year, respectively.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• The more the baby meets sucking needs at a bottle or a pacifier the less milk you will have. To have more milk you breastfeed more and stop giving bottles.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010