stopping breastfeeding.

I have a 6 week old baby and i was breast feeding but not strictly i supplimented with formula. Well i have bad depression and it has gotten bad and i am going back on prozac but i was told i couldnt breast feed while on and i had to make a decision if i wanted to give him breast milk or be a sane monther and i have chose to be a sane mama. Today was my first full day with out feeding him and my boobs are rock solid. I really want to breast feed and i am really upset i cant now. My baby is also a very colicky baby and they said a lot of it might be due to my diet and him not liking what i eat... My baby also was wanting to eat more then i could produce so my question is... is it true u cant be on prozac while breast feeding and if so how long does it take your boobs to dry out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well you cant really quite cold turkey. You can cause problems that way. I would pump or ecpress just enough to letoff the pressure and use cold compresses. Good luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It's NOT true that you can't be on anti-depressants and breastfeed. Look up your local La Leche League chapter, call the local leader and ask her to look up the medication you take. If Prozac isn't recommended there is another anti-depressant you can take to help you that is safe for breastfeeding. NEVER take a doctor's advice on breastfeeding alone unless that doctor is also an IBCLC. Doctors get literally an hour of training in breastfeeding in medical school. They know precisely shit.

Also, baby being "satisfied" is not an indicator of supply. It sounds to me like you have a classic case of perceived low supply, and the colic is being caused by the formula (and maybe some dairy in your diet).

You can breastfeed exclusively. Get in touch with La Leche League. www.llli.org.

Good luck! If you want to talk, I'm happy to help.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ati's comments were all true and perfect! Also, kellimom.com is a good resource for finding medication that is compatible with breastfeeding. Colick has many causes but as Ati said, the dairy in the formula and possibly some dairy in your diet would be a much more likely culprit than your breastmilk.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If you want to give baby the best YOU CAN!!!!! There are plenty of antidepressants on the market that are OK while breastfeeding. Stop the prozac, do the research, call the doctor and have him/her put you on the antidepressant that you can breastfeed while taking. YOU DON"T HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE OR THE OTHER YOU CAN HAVE BOTH!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Stop in the breastfeeding moms group and speak with gdiamante or tabi_cat, but I'm almost certain that Prozac is a medication that is safe to take while nursing. Really, there are very few medications that ARE harmful. You'd be surprised at what is safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Weaning can make a woman more depressed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• lactmed says prozac is not safe. Call your doctor NOW and tell your doctor you want to try Nortriptyline(pamelor), Paroxetine (paxil), or Sertraline (zoloft) ... these are safe whilst breastfeeding and in many cases actually work better than prozac.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~0d2wOs:1

You don't have to stop breastfeeding if you use a different SSRI.. it'd actually be better for your mental health if you kept breastfeeding since this helps regulate hormones and gives a much needed sense of accomplishment/triumph through trial.

Make sure you have your doctor check your thyroid levels and B12 levels as low levels can sometimes mimic PPD or make it much worse. Thyroid hormones and B12 are also safe whilst breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It says on lactmed it takes time for the prozac to build enough in your system to get into your BM enough to affect the baby. So switch it NOW and there shouldn't be a problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your baby may have been colicky due to dairy in your diet or perhaps if you were feeding with bottles or giving formula with your breastmilk?

Your rock solid breasts are bad. You're gonna get mastitis here!!

Call your doctor and get the medication switched to one you can take whilst breastfeeding. In the mean time I'd feed my baby and likely he will call in a prescription for a different medicine if you name them specifically and tell him you want it switched because you're breastfeeding.

It's simply not acceptable to me that physicians are doing this to women. There are several medicines that be taken whilst breastfeeding (see PP).

If your breasts are rock solid you do not likely have a supply issue unless you created one with formula or scheduling.

Join Breastfeeding Mom's they will help you. Nurse your baby! Switch your medicine!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2010