HUD

Anyone have any experience with HUD housing? What is it, exactly? Is it actually government assistance, or is it just more affordable housing because the government owns it and isn't trying to make a profit? How does it work?

My family was recently turned down for a mortgage loan, because of silly things that didn't ACTUALLY have any bearing on whether we can make payments, but just silly things that the banks couldn't overlook. Anyway, we are living with my parents and desperately in need of our own housing, but rent payments are far more than a mortgage payment in our area. So I'm brainstorming in crisis mode - WHAT do we do? I DO NOT want government assistance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have lived in two different HUD developments. There is a whole lot more paper work involved in it then if you are just renting a regular apartment. Because your rent is based on your income, they do need much more info. They also usually do routine inspections of your apartment for housekeeping issues. They let you know ahead of time when they do this. Because the rent is subsidized by the government there are more rules to follow usually concerning income & assets. Living in a HUD complex is NOT the same as receiving a Section 8 voucher (although usually HUD place do also accept them) HUD developments have income guidelines..not only can you not be making above a certain amount you also must make a minimum amount. Both places where we lived the majority of the folks were on Section 8 (which meant they paid little to no rent). But we paid rent just a lower amount then if you lived in a regular complex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• (con't) Also, HUD housing is not actually owned by the government, they just subsidize the rent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• OP - I guess I'm talking about HUD home ownership, not rent. I know you can OWN "HUD" homes, but that there are certain restrictions on things... Thanks for the info, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• call the county and ask them about applying for HUD loans or ask about Habitat for Humanity where you qualify for an interest free loan according to your income
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I would say to call your most local Habitat for Humanity.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 3, 2010