Why does my daughter cry ALL the time?

My 1 year old cries 90% of the time. My husband and I both give her alot of attention, she has a 3 year old sister that plays with her, and we all spend alot of quality time together. She just cries for no reason. She is even crying right now. She's just sitting in the room with me, crying. We've all pretty much gotten used to it, except for when we're sleeping. Oh and that too. She like never sleeps. I think she may be a robot lol. She'll sleep for 5 hours TOPS and even then, she wakes up about 3-4 times and just cries, no matter what we do. We try food, drink, cuddling, diaper change, bath, medicine, walking around. Its not like a cry where she is in pain or anything, its just a 'nyeh, pause, uhhhh, pause, wahhhhh, pause, arrgghh, pause'. Its like she does it for the hell of it. I just need to know if anyone else is going through this or if anyone knows whats going on?

--Sleep Deprived and Stressed

Morgans_momma15

Asked by Morgans_momma15 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you taken her to the doctor ? Don't ignore this. She seems to cry too much and there could be something physically or mentally wrong. Or she could be teething.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• this is not normal.. i dont know any one year old who only always cries. was she always like this?? check with the doc.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• oh.. just remembered., i had a friend whose daughter never ever slept. she said that he daughter gradually started to build on her sleep and the first year and half was horribly tough. she is 4 1/2 now and is one of the most adorable kids i know and sleeps an average of 10 hours everyday
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 2:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree that she should have a health check but I would also look for environmental causes. Maybe she is allergic to something that is causing her headaches, digestive pain, earaches, or something that is non-severe and non-evident. You know, she is not crying in extreme pain because it is just mildly irritating? It could be a bath soap, perfume you wear, laundry soap, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc. Maybe keep a diary of it so you can see if there is a trigger for what you just see as all the time... it may be clearer on paper. You could start with removing one possible irritant and continuing to see if the crying lessons. How long has it been going on? If you truly don't think she is irritated, maybe she is just experimenting with the noise? Could she laugh in the middle of this crying?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• She needs to see a doctor she could have some pain internally that you don't know about. Does she cry when you hold her and soothe her? If not then you need to be doing that. Maybe she cries because you ignore her and she just wants attention, maybe she is hungry, thirsty etc. Maybe she is sensitive and needs extra attention, you can't just ignore it you need to try and figure out what the cause is.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Spoliedddddddddd
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ahhh! I laughed while reading this but only because I think you wrote this about my 1 year old daughter. I completely understand what you are saying and it is comforting to know I am not alone. I am so frustrated and feel like nobody understands what I go through because she is so good around everyone else. I too have no idea why they do it. She cries all the time. I pick her up from daycare and she runs to me crying wanting to go home. She cries all the way to the car, fights me to get into her carseat, cries all the way home, and cries at home while we sit on the floor and play. I give her a lot of attention and that may be the problem but who knows. She wakes up several time through the night calling for me and if I let it go too long, she will fully wake up. If I go into her bedroom and help her lay back down, she will go back to sleep. Hang in there...I keep telling myself...she can't do this until she is 18!
    ShellB76

Answer by ShellB76 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2010