Why am I so obsessed with adoption?

My dd is only 17 months old, and we don't want another child right now. We aren't financially in the position to adopt, and our next child, who were thinking we might start trying to conceive when DD is about 3 years old, will most likely be biological. I know that at some point, I really want to adopt, but its years and years down the road. Still, for a long time now and especially in the past few months I am crazed for adoption information. Local information, general information, blogs, etc. It always used to be really vague, someday I thought I'd adopt internationally. Now, its becoming really specific- I know all sorts of things about foster care, state care, Guardian-ad-litems, the specific process to get licensed, foster care support groups in our area, etc. My husband thinks I am nuts and I am starting to wonder myself. Why do I keep researching this as if it is in our near future?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Adoption

• Is a guardian ad litem similar to a lawyer or a CASA? In our area, we have CASA's (court appointed special advocate) who are volunteers and represent the best interests of the child. They work with CPS, the child, the families, the foster families, and provide stability and guidance for the child & families. They make a 12-18 month commitment to the case, visit the child on a regular basis, and speak for the child in meetings. Regardless of how many moves the child makes, the CASA is the constant. Is this something that you think you could do? Is this what you mean by GAL?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rnr/1611496734.html

God Bless You!
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 4:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My research has made me think that maybe I could look into becoming a guardian-ad-litem or providing respite care for a foster child... but even those things are in the not-so-close future because my little one is so young. But closer than the distant hope of becoming a foster parent... so its something to snag at, especially since I think it will be quite a while before my husband would be one hundred percent on board with becoming certified foster parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Oh, wow! I'm not in that area nor certified to take a child obviously but I am researching lawyers right now that might be able to help her pro-bono.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I have to say that I too am obessed with adoption. However, Im on the other end of it. I am a birthmother and ever since placing my baby I have been addicted to reading, watching, researching everything adoption related. I dont know why. I wish I could just walk away from it.

I wish you all the best in your journey.
    Anonymous

• Doodle- I think that they are the same thing, just different names (maybe from different areas).

Anon- In your case, I think obsession with adoption is much more understandable than in mine. It's a form of understanding everything surrounding what happens when babies get placed with adoptive families, and probably a way of connecting more with your child and your experience. It seems like a fundamental part of your life experience now. I wish you peace with all of it, whether or not you continue to seek out adoption information.
    Anonymous

• Maybe God is trying to lead you toward a specific child. We were trying to conceive at the same time as we were pursuing adoption. A few times I thought I was pregnant, and a part of me was worried that it might keep us from adopting. I knew that I'd want to pursue adopting at a later date even if I did get a positive pg test (which I never did). I believe now that we were being led on the path that would take us to our (future) kids. We have them now, and wouldn't change one thing that we went through.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• anon :07 from a different birthmother :very warm sweet answer. Thank you
    Anonymous