Do you think something should/could be done about this?

Our 8 YO dd is five foot tall and 115 lbs. She wears a size 10/12, she is a bigger girl but not obese (I would love to be 5 foot tall and 115 lbs!). My mother and dh's mother's family were all well over 6 feet tall as adults. We don't see any problem with her, but my sister (who is single and has no kids) keeps insisting our daughter get checked out for her thyroid. We took dd to a children's hospital in our area last fall and they ran all kinds of tests for Grave's disease and so on and found nothing wrong! She's a tall kid and is going to be a tall adult! However, this isn't good enough for Sis who is harping AGAIN that we need to take her to ANOTHER hospital for more tests.
Do any of you have a tall child, do you think it's genetics or environmental factors (we personally feel it was food preservatives like growth hormones so we grow our own food now)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OP here - also our 15 YO son is now 5 ft 11 inches tall and weights 130 lbs, he's taller than his dad and myself but no one every freaked out about his growth :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• she is well within the right weight range for her height and the sound of her build.

you can take two paths here. you can let it go in one ear and out the other. and accept it as her way of showing she cares. OR gently give her a healthy boundry and tell her ENOUGH. Your children are fine and she needs to stop .
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Tell her to f*ck off. My ex SIL is always harping on me about my son. ANYTHING you name it, she bitches about it. I tried politely telling her I didn't need her advice(She has girls, I have a boy, She has no idea how to raise boys and is younger than me but still knows everything. Apparently according to her chicken pox only last 2-3 days! I still wonder where she got her medical degree as does my son's doctor!
    I finally had to get my bitch on about it. She hasn't harped on me since. Of course she still $h!t talks me behind my back.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Well, she's taller than both of my sons who are considered tall, but you've had her checked and they see no problems, so I'd just tell her thanks, but things are fine and to just drop it. I wouldn't worry about it. I will admit, when I read your post, I thought "Wow, that is one tall kid!" but I also have to say that I am a rather short adult. I'm only 5' 3" myself. I wonder...is your sister on the short side? Maybe you, as well? That might be something that makes your sister think there's a problem. Maybe she's used to females being rather short, and so thinks there's something wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• She's just going to be one of those genetic freaks who becomes a runway model.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Tell your sister to get over it! Not her child and you've had her checked out and the results were normal. And with some of the genetic make-up being tall peoples....she's libel to tall. Not a big deal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If all of the the tests have come back normal, and you and the docs are not concerned, it's time to tell Sis to relax and enjoy her tall beautiful niece. Your daughter knows that she is different from her peers and needs the emotional support of her entire family, including her aunt.

Tall genes run in my husband's family, too. Both of my kids are tall for their ages, so we're teaching them to stand tall (no slouching to try to hide their height) and be comfortable in their bodies. It's tough, especially for my daughter, but it's necessary. Good luck with your daughter and your sister.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Your 8 year old is bigger than I was 6 weeks after giving birth to my first child with a C-D cup size. (I'm also 5 feet tall and yes I breastfed) while her height might be perfectly normal for her. Her weight is high. Although kids do bulk up before they have their next growth spurt. You've had it checked out and nothing came up so it is time for SIS to shut her trap. SIS is obviously more obsessed with the girl's body image than the boy's. I think it says a lot about SIS that she is harping on the girl and said nothing about the boy. Is she one of these airheads who follows the fashion trends and thinks Barbie is the ideal. I think I would start harping on SIS and her personality flaws that create this obsession with the perfect female body. I would make her completely miserable.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I THINK it just means she will hit puberty earlier! We have had kids in school that were tall young and hit puberty early and then stopped growing around 6th grade. If the doctors are not concerned, I would not be either. Everyone has their own biological clock.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My neice is VERY tall. She is 8 as well. She in the 2nd grade. She is taller than pretty much all the third graders at her school. She is wearing between a size 12 & size 14 in pants. I am not sure how tall she is or how much she weighs, but she has to weigh over 80lbs (my SD weighs that). I know she is getting close to my height so she is approaching 5 ft. Her bio-father is VERY tall & her mom is not short. She is no where close to over weight. She fits her frame. Her doctor told her mom that she will be between 5'10" & 5'11" when she finishes growing.

My SD who is 9 is not tall. SD is on the short side of average for the girls in her grade. She is wearing between a size 12 & size 14 in pants as well. We have to hem the pants like 4". She has a little belly, but you can tell she is getting ready to hit puberty. None of us are concerned for either of them.

I would tell Sis to leave DD & you alone about it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2010