what do you think makes a genius?

It amazes me how many mothers in CM think they have gifted children
There is pride and then there is denial.

turtle68

Asked by turtle68 at 6:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• your kinda being a bitch
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Every child has a gift, it just might not be academically.
    Why worry about everyone else says about their children, this is an online community where everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my brother knew his multiplication tables by the time he was 5, but I can play classical music on my guitar and read sheet music. My dd (2) can talk your ear off, and speak in full sentences, but my son (3) cant say more than 5 words. but he understands things when it comes to people being sad, or emotional. He has a connection with people. So everyone has their own gift.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Not quite sure what you're trying to get at with this question,but I suppose the technical definition of genius is having an iq above 145.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 6:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• @sati why would you say that? It is a question and an observation. I am curious what people think.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 6:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• @twins. Not worried...just wondering what mothers think being a genius is opposed to being above average :-) And I am speaking academically.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• the question is not a nice one nor is it worded nicely. observation? or jealous JUDGEMENT>
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I think that parents who claim their children are "geniuses" or "prodigies" BEFORE they have been appropriately tested/evaluated, are setting themselves AND their children up for failure later in life.

We ALL know that children grow and learn at different paces--some display advanced talents compared to their peers, but, for MOST children their gifted abilities "even out" as they get older, and are exposed to more complicated concepts,and as their "lagging" peers catch up!

Now that's not to say that if your child is demonstrating a skill or knowledge above what his/her peers are doing that you shouldn't push it to see how far you can get, but to remember that it's not the "be all, end all" in life! Being a well-rounded, grounded (not being full of themselves) individual will get you further in life. And everyone needs to remember that it's okay to fail--as it builds character!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Comprehension, and the ability to apply what they have learned to solve new problems on their own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Genius is hard to define. Obviously the people who are truly genius are in a very small minority. Intelligence is on a spectrum - below average, average, above average, gifted, genius - but I think there are also different intelligences. Academic intelligence is only one type.

I think a genius is someone whose comprehension for things is almost limitless. Their brains work in ways that most people can't imagine. As my husband also mentioned, geniuses are almost always well publicized because they are so rare.

Genius and gifted are not the same thing. There are more gifted people in the world than there are true geniuses. There are people who graduate highschool and move on to university at age 15. This is gifted, but not necessarily genius. You can be a gifted musician or athlete, but not a genius.

Anyway, yeah, I'd be leary of anyone who claimed their kid was a genius because it's pretty rare.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2010