How could Jesus be both God and God's son?

Big question, I know. I have never really been able to wrap my brain around the idea that Jesus was both God's son and God incarnate. To me, it makes more sense to think that Jesus was a completely human prophet - like Abraham,sent to spread God's message than believing that he was actually God himself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't completely wrap my brain around it either. But I kind of look at it like I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, Aunt...I a m all of those people just like God is the Father, son and holy spirit. God sent a part of himself to be incarnated through Mary, Jesus' chosen mother. I know it's not a good answer but it's the best I can do. I can make sense of it in my head but I can't seem to get it on paper.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• The Trinity teaches that Jesus and God are the same person. This is not a Bible teaching.Jesus himself never claimed to be God. At John 14:28 (King James) Jesus states "my Father is greater than I" John:8:42states that the Father sent Jesus to earth (once again 2 people) In John 20:17 Jesus tells Mary Magdalene that is must ascend "to my God and your God" showing that Jesus was not equal to God but in subjection.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• wtf?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• H2O comes in different forms, a solid would be ice, a liquid would be water, a gas would be mist,steam, etc. The same is with God, Jesus was God in a man's body. Some people use the egg to describe it , with the shell the white and the yolk, all parts of one egg. I personally don't believe that Jesus is any less than the Father, being that they are all one. In the flesh, he left his heavenly home and was fulfilling the Father's will on earth as a sacrifice for us. John 10:30, Jesus says, "I and the father are one."
    WiseMom1970

Answer by WiseMom1970 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• my husband and i are one...does that make us the same person?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It is one of those amazing things that our feeble, human minds will never be able to understand. One of the many questions I have for God when I get to the pearly gates! I have accepted that there are many things that I am not designed to understand.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• the trinity does not exist. God is the father, Jesus is His son. Why would Jesus pray to himself? the script. for He gave his only begotten son" wouldnt make sense if they were one and the same. Jesus saying "father why have you forsaken me" wouldnt make sense and when Jesus was asked when the end of the system will be, He said that he didnt know that only His father knew, now tell me, if He were God, wouldnt He have known?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• This is always my answer to this question. Mark 1: 10, 11 God puclicly declares Jesus to be his son.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• So can you actually be a Christian and not believe that Jesus was God? I always thought that was one of the central tenants of Christianity. If so, then why do people talk about getting saved by Jesus or asking Jesus into your heart to get into heaven? Shouldn't they talk about asking God into your heart instead?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• It's the mystery of the Trinity....if you think you finally understand it, it's probably a heresy...:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2010