Has anybody gotten a prescription cough med for their little one?

My son is 13months. He was on 10days of antiobiotics for a double ear infection that didn't get cleared up with them so he was almost immediately put on another 10 day course of a higher dose. He's still taking that but now on top of it he's started to cough. (His big brother has a virus that is causing him to cough so hard he's throwing up. He coughed for almost 2 hours straight last night barely being able to take a breath.) If the baby's cough gets as bad as his big brothers, he will be unable to sleep or keep down his antibiotics that he was already taking when this started. Now that they don't give otc cold/cough meds for little ones, has anybody had a doc that prescribed something for a cough in one this young? Thanks
K.D.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. It's ok. just follow the directions.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Occasionally they do... However... if they are coughing that bad, there might be something else going on than just a virus. RSV is really bad right now... and causes very harsh choking coughing, I might have your little one tested.
    Most of the time they don't want anyone (even adults) to have cough medicine because they want you to cough that junk up and out
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• The one that had the cough that bad is my 6 yr old and once he fell asleep it quit. This isn't a wet cough either, it's a dry cough (don't know if that makes a difference) If the baby's cough seems like it's trying to turn into what his big brothers did then I'm definitely going to see if he can been seen by the doc. Right now it's just kind of random so I'm still waiting to see what's going to happen. Thanks for the responses ladies.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I've been given Alburerol (sp?) for my son's cough before...it depends on what kind of cough it is. I have also had to use a nebulizer to clear up his bronchial passages/
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• be sure to put humidifiers in their rooms.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2010