Do Health Insurance Companies cover for Supplements/Vitamins for children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• probably not, I don't know. I had to get prescription Vitamin D for myself and was told at the pharmacy that insurance companies don't like to cover vitamins... I'm sure that extends to children as well.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 10:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You'd be best to call your health ins. company and get specifics. Relying on CM to answer this for pesonal use? Probably not a good idea... Mine? No.. But then agan, I wouldn't give my kids supplements. Vitamins, yes. But not pills to supplement the nurients they get from whole foods. I just feed them whole foods..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• You'd be best to call your health ins. company and get specifics. Relying on CM to answer this for pesonal use?

This is not a personal question. Thank you for the info. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• If your child is overweight or underweight your Doctor will help you to start a nutrition programs and that will include vitamins, supplem..etc, As long as there is a Medical Dx your insurance will cover it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I know that if you are trying to use a HSA to pay for vitamins you will need a Dr.'s prescription for them to be covered. At least that's how it is with my HSA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• What's HSA?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I buy my kids Flintstone Gummy's.Geez they are like 8.99 a bottle, pay for it yourself or better yet feed your children a balanced diet of whole foods with plenty of fruits and veggies..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Why would insurance pay for some product that is not even FDA approved. Vitamins are considered necessary for your Health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Vitamins are not necessary for your health! They are not even proven to have any benefits, some say they are a waste of money.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• correction: Vitamins are considered NOT necessary for your Health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2010