Are Parents are to blamed for picky eaters kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, to a certain extent, yes. Now, there are some cases where this isn't true, such as kids with disabilities that have texture issues as far as foods go and etc. But aside from that, if you start down that path and let them get away with it, and give in to it, or if you yourself (or your spouse) are picky eaters so they pick up the behaviors, then yes, it's the fault of the parents.

Prepare a healthy, appetizing meal that's age appropriate, served at appropriate intervals. Feed it to your child. If your child doesn't eat it, they won't starve, they'll eat what you make for the next meal. Simple as that. (By the way, this was a technique that was suggested to us by a Ped.) It's hard, because we want to give in, give them that snack, make that sandwich or favorite "they'll only eat this" dish, or whatever, because we love them and hate to see them upset. But that's what makes picky eaters - usually.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• IMO yes!
    If you just give them what they want, it makes for picky eaters!
    My kids have to try everything. 3 bite rule. If they try 3 bites and still tell me they don't like it, OK they get extra something else we're having that they do like.
    I refuse to cater to them like some of the picky eater moms I've seen! I cook 1 dinner, not 3 or 4 just to get everyone to eat. If you're hungry you'll eat it.

I do want to add, I do know some kids with sensory issues, and that is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• yes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I think sometimes they are, yes.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Yes. My mom is picky. She doesn't like veggies and most fruits, eats very little ethnic food, and hates to try anything new. I am very picky too. She didn't make us eat fruits and veggies and didn't expose us to anything new. I am trying to break the cycle. I expose my daughter to all kinds of things that I would never dream of eating. I might think they're gross, but I don't force my opinions on her. So far the only thing that she hasn't liked was hummus and avocados. She is willing to try anything at least once which is more than I can say for myself.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 9:24 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My son is picky, but that doesn't mean he gets what he wants. Breakfast and lunch are his choice (bagel and apple sauce, peanutbutter toast, baked chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries, english muffin pizza; for example) but for dinner he gets what we're having. If he doesn't eat it, then he gets nothing else until breakfast. I refuse to fight with him at the dinner table, but I am NOT a short order cook! He won't starve if he doesn't eat dinner.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Parents don't make picky eaters. However, parents can enable picky eaters by fixing whatever they want.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• No lol...i dont like Carrots and my children love them..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• To a certain extent, but as a picky eater myself, and the parent of a picky eater, we reach the point that they need to eat SOMETHING, so as to not starve. People's taste develop differently, so the kid may not be ready to handle a certain taste.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Yes. And I say this at cost of my own experience.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 10:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010