BF toddlers in public

I have a legitimate question and I don't want anyone to feel I'm bashing b/c I'm not. I am a BF mom and my DS is almost 2 y.o. I have nursed in public when he was an infant b/c I didn't want to give a bottle (too much work, messes up supply). As he got older and started drinking regular things out of a sippy (milk, water, juice, etc.) we no longer nursed in public. In fact, the older he has gotten, the less he nurses anyway. But I wonder, why do you still nurse in public if they can drink out of a cup/sippy. We never NIP anymore b/c we don't have to. In fact, he doesn't even ask for it unless it's naptime or bedtime. Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont' look at Breastfeeding any different than bottle feeding or using a Pacifier. Past a certain age it's a comfort thing. So NO I wouldn't nurse a toddler in public, I also wouldn't let my toddler carry around a bottle or Pacifier in public either.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I think it's an individuals choice, I'm not doing it, I was doing it in my own home when I did, If I had to somewhere it was at a family/ close friends house. I didn't need to do it anywhere else.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I'm with Zakysmommy, past a certain age, it seems unnecessary. I don't give my toddler a bottle anymore, so I wouldn't feel inclined to give her a breast either. Wow, I can't even imagine keeping a milk supply that long! Leaky breasts for 2 YEARS! Sheesh!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• My second child nursed until he was almost three, and after he was able to drink from a cup and eat solids (around 7mos) he didn't need to nurse in public as much. However, he had a cow's milk allergy and some other delays/developmental issues that sometimes made it nessisary to occasionally need to nurse while we were out - if we were gone all day, or around nap times, if he got hurt badly, etc. until he was about 18-19mos. old. After that he only nursed at home for naps/bedtime, etc. until he weaned. I see it as no different than giving a bottle/pacifier in public. Oh, and to the PP no your breast do not leak that entire time - it usually tapers off as baby gets older, and eventually stops all together!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• because its not about food all the time its about comfort, there is nothing wrong with using what nature intended to be comforting. you need to keep in mind that our bodies were genetically designed to breastfeed until our milk teeth fall out and our adult teeth come in and that is around the average age of ....6-8 and my son never actually used a sippy cup he went straight to a regular cup, pretty akward in public also he doesnt get juice thats not all that healthy.... better off to just give em a piece of fruit so its either my milk or water..... kenzie your breasts dont leak after about nine months on average, unless your crazy engorged which is well.. a blessing to some a curse to others. your breasts start a very very slow drying up process around nine months, most women notice it.
    Anonymous

• So, if the breast is drying up, Anon, isn't that nature simply telling the body that breastfeeding should cease?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2010