A virus that only causes a fever?

My son is 18 months old. He has had a fever bettween 100 and 102 for the last 3 days! We took him to the med stop last night and they said everything look fine that he has a virus that causes only a fever and that 4 other kids have come in with the same thing and that if it does not go away by friday to take him to his doctor. ... Do you know of a virus that only causes a fever and has your child ever had it?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yup, both my kids have had that. A fever, but nothing else. It doesn't mean that there isn't anything else going on but that the only symptom is the fever.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Fever is a reaction of our bodies dealing with something. I would think that Doctors must know but won't tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• there are MILLIONS of virus's out there. No one can narrow down what virus it is EXACTLY unless you spend way more than you want to on lab tests (unless they have evidence that it is a traceable virus like H1N1) Everyone reacts to virus's differently. His immune system could be battling the virus very well, in which case it may not have invaded enough cells to give him other kinds of symptoms. Just be glad he has no cough, sore throat, or runny nose to go along with his fever.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• There are all kinds of viruses that cause fever.... they might cause some other symptoms, but you might not notice them... like, body aches, headaches, sore throat... some illnesses start with a fever first and then turn into something else...
    I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't seeing any other symptoms... the fever's aren't very high. A viral illness won't usually cause fevers for more than 5 days... so if on day 6 there is still a fever over 100.5, then go in... but otherwise it's not a big deal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I am going through the same thing. I had to take my daughter to the ER twice!! over the weekend, (the local Pediatricians are all moving into a new building and were not open, so the first time I went I was trying to just see her regular Doctor) She was routinely running 105 deg. fever (scary!!). The ER did Blood work and urinalysis and found nothing. I was told by her doctor that if the fever lasted more than 5 days then we would have to re-evaluate. She scared me with talk of Dengue Fever and Kawasaki Sickness. I did the research on the internet about those. I guess Dengue isn't serious, but Kawasaki sickness is.

well, she seemed to be doing better. She woke up this morning with no fever! So I cancelled her appointment this afternoon to see the doctor. mistake. This evening right after dinner, which she wouldn't eat, she started to get the chills again. I took her temp and she is running 101 deg.
    okeemom

Answer by okeemom at 7:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010