If you have had 2 miscarriages in row, what type of tests will the doctor do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an m/c when I was 16 and another when I was 20. I didn't have ANY tests done. It just wasn't my time to be a mommy. I'm so sorry for your losses. I know it's very heartbreaking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• i had two back to back one four months after my first. all they did was check my blood that i remember...i'm sorry. I did get preg with my son though 7 months later.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I lost a baby due to complications from HELLP syndrome and then had two miscarriages...after the second miscarriage the DR. did genetic testing on the baby and found that she did indeed have a "random genetic mutation" that "did not support life".

The bottom line is this, as painful and disappointing as it is - a m/c is telling you that there was something wrong with the pregnancy. In my case, even knowing WHY I m/c'd did not help alleviate the pain.

If you are generally healthy there are not many test that they can preform on you - if you have a m/c they can preform test on the baby and try to figure out why. Usually, they just don't know.

Hugs!!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I have had 6 miscarriages so I feel your pain and frustration! They don't normally don't do much testing until you loose 3 in a row, so I would suggest seeing a fertility doctor. They are more proactive, and when you have had such a painful loss all you want is answers. You may not get an exact answer but at least you know you are trying. I'm sorry for your losses. All the best to you!!!
    meg613

Answer by meg613 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I had 3 miscarraiges and after 2 I begged the Dr. to run tests and all they did was draw like 6 tubes of blood and checked all the basic stuff... thryoid, diabetes, liver isses etc. Then he did an u/s and said I had no polyps and my lining looked good.
    The problem ended up being called a Luteal (or Luneal I can't remember) Phase Defect, it's where I ovulated late in my cycle and when the embryo implanted all my hormones were on a downward slope to get ready for a period, therefore not being able to support a healthy pregnancy. I o'd on day 19 of a 28 day cycle. All I had to take was progesterone as soon as I found out I was pregnant and stopped taking it when I hit 12 weeks. It worked because that baby was 3 months old yesterday! :)
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Nothing. My last 2 preg. were miscarried. The doctor told me that they dont do any testing until 3 or more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• OP here-Thanks ladies. My doctor said they are foresure going to run tests. I had my d&c today and they saved some tissue for genetic testing. When I go to meet with her in two weeks we are going to discuss the other tests that they will do. I'm sorry for you guys that had doctors that didn't feel that two miscarriages were enough to start testing.
    Anonymous