anyone had a baby with colic? how did you handle it what things did you do to calm baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of holding and baby wearing and frequent small feeds. Interesting research: "He discovered that infants with supposed colic do not cry more often or at particular times of the day; they just cry longer each time. His suggestion is that such crying is normal but may be prolonged by modern practices such as longer intervals between feedings. Dr. Barr compared the results of a study done of the !Kung of South Africa with the typical ways in which US and European infants are handled and fed. The !Kung carry their babies with them constantly and feed the babies whenever they cry. Babies may be fed 3 or 4 times an hour for a minute or 2 at each feeding. In the US, the average number of feedings in a day is 7 and the average length of time between feedings is 3 hours. So Barr asked US mothers to carry their babies at least 3 hours a day. These moms reported that their babies cried only half as long as babies whose moms did not."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• when I was told my baby was colicy, I took her back to the doctor until I got a real diagnosis! Colic is a cop out diagnosis from doctors for "your baby is fussy and we don't want to bother finding out why"

she had reflux. Got her on meds and adjusted her eating and she turned into a happy baby !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I've never had a baby with colic but my cousins little boy had it for awhile. She bought one of those back massagers that you can sit in a chair and laid it on the floor with baby on it. It really helped, the vibrations seemed to calm him alot.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• if you are breastfeeding, you may want to start eliminating things from your diet to see if that helps. if you are bottle feeding, try positioning the baby as if you were breastfeeding, this should be the best way for the milk to go down. burp often. if you are formula feeding, you may want to consider a gentle or predigested formula, or even soy.
    i am not sure how old your baby is, but it is good to keep in mind that the infant digestive system is not fully developed until about 6 months, so some discomfort may be expected, especially if using formula.
    good luck with you and your little one. i hope you find a solution that works...i also hope you explore drugs as a last resort.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010