I don't want mini blinds. What would you suggest?

We just bought a bigger house and I am looking to replace all of the window treatments (the house was built in the 70's and appears to have the original window coverings). I really don't want mini blinds, but I can't decide what type of blinds or shades would be good. I looked at cordless cellular shades at J.C. Penney; they are cool, but the nicer ones are extremely expensive and look hard to clean (I expect dust will be an issue until we can afford to replace the windows). What are some other ideas? Any that won't cost me a fortune?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I love shears instead of blinds. They can be taken down and washed as needed. Great for privacy while still allowing light in.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2010

• haha replacing windows doesn't do anything for dust. Dust just happens when you live somewhere. It's dead skin cells mostly.

what about roman shades?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I love the look of wood blinds, with a real nice molding around the windows..I believe they are called plantation blinds or shutters..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Ikea has some nice window treatment ideas that aren't too expensive. We have their panel curtains in our bedroom. In the other two bedrooms we have the peyton drape from Pottery Barn and one window has a roman shade from Pottery Barn. Three windows have the Pottery Barn curtains/shade and they weren't cheap. I think $500 for all three curtains/shade plus the hardware.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• OP here: I probably should have said dirt rather than dust. I know new windows won't completely cut down on dust, but I live in West Texas where we have severe dust storms in the spring. We really get a lot more dirt from outside than you do most places, and the older windows let more of that in.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• OIC LOL that kind of dust ;) that makes more sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I bought roman shades and love them. I got them on clearance at Target for really cheap.
    Anonymous