Would allowing low-income families to use food stamps and WIC vouchers at farmers' markets help the problem?

Low-income, minority and publicly-insured children and teens keep getting fatter and their health risks continue to increase, said Lisa Simpson, director of the Child Policy Research Center at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

Publicly insured: From 2003 to 2007, the combined overweight and obesity percentage among children and teens insured through Medicaid or other public programs grew from 36.9 percent to 43.2 percent. Among privately insured children, the percentage grew from 26.7 percent to 27.3 percent.

Why is it that those kids whose parents are on Food Stamps & WIC are the most likely to be lacking in a healthy diet?

myame

Asked by myame at 10:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• myame

Answer by myame at 10:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Wic does give farmers market vouchers now..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• most definitely, what a better alternative than just grocery stores
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• anonymous, WIC only in 45 states and there are restrictions. Foodstamps as far as I have seen does not. http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/fmnp/fmnpfaqs.htm

myame

Answer by myame at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Yeah I thought people could get produce from some farmers markets already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• They are allowed to use Farmers Markets. I think low income families have more of a struggle to pay for extra curricular activities suck as sports and that may be part of it. Also...it is cheaper to buy meals loaded with fat and sodium such as tv dinners,and other prepared and processed foods. The cost of fresh vegetables and fruits are so high anymore...and they dont last long once you get them home.
    Also, many lower income families have to live in areas where the crime may be higher and most have thier kids stay in the house to be safe.
    Theres many reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Got news for ya: in my area WIC does hand out vouchers for families to get farm fresh produce from participating farmers markets. They also hand out seeds for people to plant gardens. The problem is, there also needs to be education on how to grow those seeds and education on how to prepare the fresh produce. There needs to be OVERALL education on nutrition.

Education won't solve all the problems. You've got to get rid of the crap the groceries store sell at cheaper prices than the healthy food.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• That would help to a degree, but the real problem is the parents. We need to have better education in the health and nutrition department somewhere. The best way to reach the most people (in a future generation) is through the school system. As for the millions of people that are parents now, perhaps public service announcements over the television. We do a great disservice to the children of this country by not educating them on nutrition.
    Anonymous

• IMO no.

I use my FS for fresh produce at the grocery store. Our family has actually gotten much healthier since getting approved.

It's all due the parents! .the obesity isn't due to not being able to buy the items, it's the parents don't want to! either they don't know how to cook it (I sure as heck started not knowing what to do with it LOL) or the kids have gotten picky and the parents are too lazy to actually parent and make them eat certain things. And the convenience factor! 5 minutes in the mircowave for a tv dinner VS 30 minutes or more to prepare and cook the veggies

I really think public assistance recipients would benefit from some minor cooking and shopping classes.

I learned that I can make about 8 loaves of bread from scratch for what I was paying for like 3 premade!

I ENJOY making my FS last longer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Out of the 8.7 million WIC participants 2 million used the Farmers market program.  20%. 

myame

Answer by myame at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2010