Can we get over this?

My 8 month old son and I have sinus infections following awful colds. We don't have that diagnosed by any professionals, but it's the green snot (sorry!), congestion, etc. We try to avoid antibiotics and meds as much as possible, but can our bodies fight this off on it's own providing there aren't any complications that arise? He doesn't have a fever, and he's eating fine (when we suction his nose out so he can still breathe while nursing). Thanks in advance for any advice!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a sufferer of sinus infections myself, typically no. When the sinus membranes become infected nothing short a antibiotics will alleviate the swelling, pressure and infection. You can become REALLY sick from infected sinuses.

I do not particularly like drugs myself but there is just not much you can do once the infection sets in. Especially with a baby.

GL!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• every sinus infection I've ever had (and it's been a lot of them due to allergies) as cleared up on it's own without meds or antibiotics.

BUT I'm an adult with a better immune system than my child. My body has had years to build up the antibodies to fight off infections. A young child's body has not. So I would take him to the doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Sinus infections almost always have a fever. You could have sinusitis, an inflamation but not infection of the sinus. It could be allergies.

Can your baby fight it off on his own? I wouldn't be worried if the baby is breastfed and as long as the baby remains fever free. Your milk will help the baby get better.

A concern is your baby's age. You want your baby to hear well because this is an important time for language. If you aren't breastfeeding it may be wise to get your baby in to see the doctor because your baby is immune compromised without breastmilk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Babies don't get sinus infections... they don't have sinus cavities.
    Green snot is NOT an indication of a bacterial infection... viruses cause green snot as well.... what matters is the color... a virus usually is a brighter/yellowish green... a bacterial infection would be a thick, dark green (like oscar the grouch green) and you would have a fever.
    I wouldn't worry about it... just keep doing what you are doing. Use saline drops to loosen the secretions then suck it out (careful not to suction too often... it can lead to swelling and cause more congestion). Have you baby sleep with their head elevated... either in a bouncy seat or put a pillow UNDER the matress to create an incline... that will help keep the snot from pooling and it will help it drain. And use a humidifier in the room to keep things moist.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• I agree that just because you are seeing green snot does not make it a sinus infection. The fact that there is no fever and baby can nurse okay (with some suctioning) suggests you guys just have some bad colds. Extra rest and fluids and you should get over this just fine.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2010