What do YOU think the reason is that doctors write prescriptions for drugs that aren't safe for breastfeeding mothers -- and not inform them of options that are safe?

I keep seeing women going on antidepressants/anxiolitics for PPD that have never taken drugs like this before being put on things like xanax and prozac and told to stop breastfeeding when there are safe alternatives. For instance instead of xanax --lorazepam; instead of prozac -- paxil or zoloft.

Why are doctors doing this to women? It just doesn't make sense.

Do you think they secretly don't like that women breastfeed, or secretly think that breastfeeding somehow makes PPD worse? (Simply put, in MOST cases, breastfeeding helps ward off PPD or helps it be less severe due to less crazy hormonal shifts and released bonding hormones).

I just don't get it. I keep having to tell people "Call your doctor and tell them to switch it ASAP this "---" is a safe alternative" ..

And if doctors are just UNAWARE of alternatives or what is safe -- aren't they just asking for trouble?!?!

My resource is LactMED.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• doctors push what the pharmacy reps tell them to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• In my experience, most doctors are NOT pro breastfeeding, and DO interfere as much as possible. Pair that with the blind ignorance of the medical community regarding breastfeeding, and you have a recipe for disaster (and a lot of high and mighty FF who BELIEVE that they made the ONLY decision, because their Dr. said they couldn't BF). It is enough to make me ill.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Some of that responsibility falls on the mom. Look up the meds, tell the doc you will not quit BF, that kind of stuff.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 11:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• Honestly, ignorance. You have to take charge of your own health. People that don't, do not receive good healthcare.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• As a former pharmaceutical rep (9 years), believe me, doctors DO NOT do what reps want them to do in most cases.

Physicians are taught to look at the risk/benefit profile. Remember, the physicians are required to know huge volumes of information about many different things. Though you'd prefer them to know the pregnancy category of each drug, they often don't (or it's very possible that there is evidence of safety of a product, but the manufacturer hasn't chosen to apply to the FDA for the approval on a specific use.

The pharmacist is also part of the process, and they should be catching anything that can be potentially hazardous. In the end, though, we as patients really should be doing more research on the prescriptions we're taking to understand why we're supposed to use them, what the risks are, and what alternatives are out there.

I know it can be frustrating, I've been there, too.
    DanaDWeb

Answer by DanaDWeb at 11:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• There are only a few drugs that are contrindicated for breastfeeding moms, see the AAP Breastfeeding and Use of Human Milk Policy Statement. Women can take allmost all drugs and breastfeed and almost all medical conditions can be treated while a woman is breastfeeding. Chemotherapy is an exception.

Doctors have incomplete educations, they aren't trained in breastfeeding.

People are fools. Moms on cm say all the time 'my doctor said this and if you don't have a md I'm not listening to you'. Moms expect their baby's doctor's to work 60 hours a week, have their own families, keep up on research, know everything about medically treating disease, know everything about parenting, know everything about breastfeeding, know everything about development, and know everything about nutrition.

The best source of info on bf is LLL Leaders or lactation consultants.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• OP here) MY doctor has a PDA in his hand at every visit. He looks up the information on his PDA if he's unsure about something. He looks up medications, always.

Doctors don't have to know all of the information, IMO. I don't care if he "knows" everything automatically without looking it up. I prefer to see him look up things actually.

I guess it is a mixture of ignorance and pridefulness with some of them?

How do we get folks to realize that they are like that though?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• personally, i think far too many people are looking for an easy way out when it comes to their health, or state of mind. what do we expect when we go to the dr. and say i am really depressed? i mean, he is a dr., not a priest, not a counselor, not a therapist, and not a friend. i think far too many people have far too much faith in their dr.s and their prescription pad. it is up to us to take responsibility for our health. health does not come to you from a pill, it comes from you, and how you choose to live your life!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• None of my Doctors did. I don't know where you live but all my doctors in the midwest and at Air Force hospitals ASKED if I was breast feeding. SHeeeesh.....
    WHat the heck are you taking? LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2010

• And Gailll.. Prozac is NOT safe for breastfeeding mothers. Prozac can lead to colic and otherwise severe gastrointestinal distress in babies and is registered significantly in their blood. It's not a good medication for a breastfeeding mother.

Chemotherapy is not the only unsafe medication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2010